I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Libraries and Academic Innovation (LAI) is the bedrock of scholarship and learning at GW. Underpinning all aspects of the academic experience, our work is the foundation of integrated teaching, learning, and research throughout the university. A nimble, data-driven organization, we connect scholars with the tools, resources, and knowledge to generate transformative research and deepen student academic engagement, regardless of educational modality. LAI nurtures scholars throughout the spectrum of the academic experience, from formative undergraduate experiences through the pursuit of advanced research and teaching. We anchor the university in its mission to provide a unique, rigorous education to every student and become one of the nation's premier research universities. Reporting to the Senior Associate Dean of Innovative Teaching and Learning, the Administrative Manager oversees the planning, implementation, and coordination assistance for LAI's operational activities.
The incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Understands the workloads of the administrative support personnel in the LAI organization and establishes a process for sharing the work across the positions to ensure that support is provided for all LAI units. Manages multiple Administrative staff members as well as the clerical/administrative support productivity by managing workflows, overseeing performance quality, and conducting annual reviews. Establishes performance goals and productivity standards for subordinates. Maintains responsibility for the efficient flow of work in the office by ensuring that all equipment is operational and that adequate personnel support levels are maintained. Ensures that all administrative support positions are covered when one of these individuals is out.
- Is responsible for the day-to-day administrative activities of the LAI Senior Leadership, including direct support of the Senior Associate Dean of Innovative Teaching and Learning. Assists in preparing and monitoring expense reports as well as PCard activity. Oversees calendars ensuring accurate scheduling of meetings and other events.
- Oversees all LAI administrative operations and assists the Dean and Senior Leadership in the daily management of the department to ensure that organizational activities adhere to established milestones and completion dates, university policies and procedures. Establishes procedures for conducting daily office administrative operations in accordance with the Leadership guidelines. Recommends administrative policy changes for approval by the Senior Leadership. Develops strategies with the Dean and the Senior Associate Dean to assure departmental strength and growth in academic innovation.
- Exercises independent judgment to support successful development and implementation of special LAI projects such as but not limited to the overall annual performance review process as well as Space Planning and Facilities Management projects. Serves as liaison between LAI, other University departments, and applicable stakeholders to ensure that deadlines are met, and those projects comply with administrative and academic operating policies.
- Prepares Senior Leadership for scheduled meetings including: senior leadership meetings, town-hall meetings, senior leadership offsite meetings, etc. Participates in the senior leadership meetings both as a contributor and to document the discussions.
- Proactively composes memos, reports, presentations, and correspondence that reflect the Leadership's views and styles.
- Interprets and evaluates LAI business analytics data and develops business analyses and processes in support of Senior Leadership.
- Partners with Communications and Outreach team in event coordination.
The position is based at GW's Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 6 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master's degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 4 years of relevant professional experience. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Master's degree
- Experience with managing a team of individuals
- Professional experience supporting senior level individual contributors and/or executives
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality
- High level of proficiency in MS Office, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Ability to multi-task, analyze, evaluate, develop and implement improvements to a variety of work processes
- Experience serving as a resource for senior level leadership
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: University Libraries Family Administration Sub-Family Administrative / Operations Stream Management Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
In order to gain a better understanding of your experience, the professional experience section of your resume must include months in addition to years. For example, instead of “2014 – 2015,” it should include “April 2014 – January 2015” or similar information.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006620 Job Open Date: 08/29/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Does the professional experience section of your resume include months?
- * What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your management experience.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter