Contract/Adjunct Faculty: Big Data Architectures
About Harrisburg University:
At Harrisburg University, students find a cutting-edge education focused on high-demand fields. HU educates career-minded individuals in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. We give our students the tools to succeed and shape communities. In turn, the STEM-educated workforce we produce helps stimulate the economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology in response to local and global needs. HU fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students looking to pursue a career in science and technology and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University of Science & Technology (HU) is a rapidly growing institution that offers state-of-the-art technology and STEM education to both the undergraduate and graduate student populations. In addition to its physical location, HU offers a wide variety of courses in executive format and online.
There is an opportunity for a full-time or contract/adjunct faculty member to teach the “Big Data Architectures” course- within our Computer Science graduate degree program. Faculty needed for the upcoming late Fall 2017 semester and beyond.
Requirements & Qualifications:
Candidates must have experience using Hadoop, including HDFS and MapReduce, as well as a deep understanding of the concepts of Big Data systems architecture. It is additionally helpful for candidates to have experience in building and designing Hadoop architectures, as well as using Hive, Pig, Drill, Spark, HBase and other ecosystem components. Candidates should be familiar with the most common Big Data distributions, such as Cloudera, Hortonworks, and MapR. Candidates with Cloudera or other industry certifications are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates should provide evidence of experience in teaching and instructional development with prior corporate/industry experience being a plus.
Harrisburg University requires dedicated professionals who have the experience and desire to work in an active and collaborative environment that stresses high quality service delivery, entrepreneurial spirit, and close contact with a diverse group of internal and external constituents. HU is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in this context.
Interested candidates should possess a/an:
- Earned Master’s Degree and/or Doctorate from an accredited university
- Willingness and aptitude for graduate level teaching;
- Ability to initiate and supervise interdisciplinary and applied projects;
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 200 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University's total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 4,400 as of May 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010. And the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter, curriculum vitae, teaching statement and research philosophy.