Highlands Ranch Golf Club is an 18-hole, semi-private golf club featuring a Hale Irwin designed championship golf course. The course, which opened in 1998, features a great variety of immaculately groomed holes. The 7,179 yard, par 72 layout boasts expansive bentgrass greens that many say are the best in the region. The Highlands Ranch Golf Club is a part of the Division of Athletics & Recreation of the University of Denver.
This is a part-time, benefited position. The Irrigation Technician will perform the operation, installation, maintenance and repair of manual, semi-automatic and automatic irrigation systems. This position will be responsible for installing, maintaining and repairing the drainage system. This position requires working knowledge of basic electricity and hydraulics related to an irrigation system, including automatic valves and controllers and various typed of pumps and pumping systems. This position also requires leadership capabilities.
- Install new drip and sprinkler systems.
- Remove old systems and recovers reusable equipment.
- Set and maintain times on computer and electronic valve clocks; troubleshoot computerized electronic systems, irrigation controllers, solenoid valves and heads of all types.
- Map systems for golf course master plans; may review or make changes to current specifications.
- May instruct others in minor irrigation repairs.
- Operate tractors and trenchers to install/repair lines.
- May assist in coordination with other departments or outside contractors.
- Perform other general grounds keeping and maintenance duties as needed and requested by golf course superintendent.
- In the absence of the golf course superintendent or assistant superintendent, this position will supervise part-time employees.
The list provides examples of the most typical duties for positions in this job class. Individual positions may not include all of the examples listed, nor does the list include all of the work that may be assigned to positions in this job class.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of and experience using machines or equipment such as tractor, backhoe, trenching equipment, mowing equipment, utility carts and general golf course maintenance equipment.
- Ability to perform irrigation audits.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts and percentages.
- Familiarity with financial concepts such as budget development.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization may exist.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral or schedule form.
- High School diploma or GED.
- 2 years of underground lawn sprinkler system repair and installation work experience OR any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Previous golf course experience.
- Valid driver's license.
An employee in this position is frequently exposed to outside weather conditions, occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, and has a risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment may be loud.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to hold or feel, reach with hands and arms, walk, talk, smell and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand, sit, climb, balance, stoop, crouch and crawl. Specific vision abilities include close, distance, color, and peripheral vision, and depth perception. The employee regularly lifts and/or moves up to 50 pounds and occasionally lifts and/or moves up to 100 pounds.
Part-time, Monday through Friday with weekend availability.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. If you have questions regarding this position please contact Karyn Schaupeter at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.