Senior Course Builder (The American Women's College)
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: SRCB
- Job Type: Full-time
- Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Schedule: Monday through Friday
- Position Location: Springfield, MA
This position provides course development services to assist faculty in creating innovative, engaging online courses. This individual works with Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) to evaluate and determine the most appropriate technology applications for each course developed. This individual is involved in reviewing existing online courses and adapting the content using adaptive learning tools. The Course Builder will also make recommendations for enhancement, including increasing the use of multimedia and collaborative activities, and developing strategies to increase student engagement. The Course Builder also assists in the incorporation of the new technologies into the University's LMS (Canvas). In collaboration with faculty this individual ensures course structure meets the guidelines outlined in the University's Online Learning Academic Policies and Procedures document. This individual works collaboratively with other online learning support staff to achieve course development and faculty support goals. The position reports to the Assistant Director of Instructional Design under the direction of the Deputy Chief of Academic Technology. This is a full-time, twelve-month staff position funded by a US Department of Education First In The World FIPSE grant.
- Work collaboratively with faculty, subject matter experts, and program directors throughout the online course development process, including recommending technology tools to be utilized in courses.
- Recommend process improvements for course design projects.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of SOUL to track the delivery of work products in course development projects.
- Report regularly to key stakeholders on the progress of course development projects.
- Build course content using adaptive learning technologies for faculty teaching online.
- Provide course quality review ensuring that online courses are built according to standard design principles.
- Work with faculty content experts to improve existing online courses.
- Stay current with educational technology tools and their applicability to online and blended courses.
- Establish and maintain an effective and efficient working relationship with key stakeholders throughout the University.
- Assist in the development of video and text-based tutorials to assist faculty in using the LMS and adaptive technology.
- Maintain current knowledge of best practices in online education and instructional technology.
- Required to attend and participate in weekly meetings with the Assistant Director of Instructional Design to review current and new projects. Required to attend and participate in conference meetings, as needed, with subject matter experts, as well as faculty and staff. These meetings will likely be more frequent at the start of each session and as the initial activities of building a new course in the platform arise.
- Deliver training courses, as required.
- Attend trainings as required.
- Bachelor's degree in a related field required.
- Experience with building online course content within learning management systems (e.g. Blackboard, Canvas, Moodle, etc.).
- Demonstrated experience with educational technology and content development tools such as Adobe Creative Suite, Google Apps, Snagit, Captivate, Camtasia, and e-learning authoring tools.
- Web development experience, and multimedia recording and editing skills preferred.
- Experience and demonstrated competence with both Windows and Mac operating systems.
- Experience in a higher education environment, preferably in an instructional design role.
- Online teaching experience, preferably within the higher education environment.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and successfully complete tasks according to established deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and teamwork skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.