San Mateo County Community College District
Posting Number: 2014485S
Department: Facilities / Public Safety DIST (DEPT)
Location: District Office
Position Number: 1C0113
Percentage of Full Time: 100%
Months per Year: 12
Salary Range: $46,224 (annual) - $57,300 (annual)
Position Type: Staff & Admin
San Mateo County Community College District values the principles of diversity and equity. We provide our students with a rich and dynamic learning community that embraces differences, emphasizing collaboration and engaging students in and out of the classroom, encouraging them to realize their goals, and to become critical thinkers and socially responsible leaders.
This is manual labor work at the action level involved in a variety of assignments related to the cleaning and general maintenance of community college facilities. Under direct supervision, the Custodian performs moderate to heavy manual labor, which includes the cleaning of college facilities, moving of equipment and furniture, locking doors and other entrances and reporting unusual events to management and Public Safety personnel as appropriate. Public contact is moderate to extensive, primarily involving staff and students for the purpose of exchanging procedural information concerning cleaning needs and facility set-ups. A limited to moderate degree of independent judgment and creativity are required to perform routine cleaning and general maintenance assignments that are well prescribed. Consequences of errors in judgment could be costly in materials and employee time; however, supervisory controls limit the risk of serious consequences. A Custodian can be assigned individually or as part of a work team to various sites and can direct the work of student assistants or temporary staff as assigned.Shift is to be determined.
• A combination of training and experience equivalent to successful custodial experience that has included demonstrated skill in the use of safety procedures, cleaning equipment, solutions and supplies, including applicable chemicals
• Experience in the operation of common mechanical and electrical equipment related to building and facility cleaning and general maintenance
• Demonstrated skill in following oral and written instructions, and attention to detail
• Demonstrated skills in respectful, sensitive communication with people of diverse cultures, language groups and abilities
• Possession of a valid California Driver’s License (or the ability to obtain one) and the ability to operate a motor vehicle is required
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Knowledge of and skill in using common cleaning solutions and techniques, tools, equipment, supplies, and procedures related to cleaning and general maintenance of a variety of surfaces and facilities
2. Knowledge of proper use of safety equipment, supplies, and procedures related to general cleaning, and use of cleaning solutions; ability to lift/move objects, bend/stoop, climb and perform other routines that are common to cleaning and general maintenance
3. Skill in the safe operation and handling of tools, equipment, and supplies including driving a motor vehicle
4. Skill in reading, comprehending, and following oral and written instructions, including Material Safety Data Sheets
5. Skill in communicating effectively and working in teams with people who are diverse in their cultures, language groups, and abilities
6. Skill in working cooperatively as part of a customer service team
7. Ability to perform moderate to heavy physical labor
8. Ability to perform routine repetitive tasks on a continuous basis
Benefits: Benefits include paid holidays, vacation and sick leave. The District pays all or a portion of monthly medical plan premiums (depending on the coverage) and pays all of the monthly dental and vision plan premiums for employees and eligible dependents. Additional paid benefits include life insurance, salary continuance insurance, and an Employee Assistance Program. Classified employees participate in the Public Employees’ Retirement System, a defined-benefit retirement plan through the State of California. Optional tax-deferred 403(b) and 457 retirement plans are also available.
First Review Date: 09/18/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
To apply, visit: https://jobs.smccd.edu/
The San Mateo County Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer that seeks to employ individuals who represent the rich diversity of cultures, language groups, and abilities of its surrounding communities.