Administrative Assistant HIT / PTA
For over 40 years, Oakton Community College has been the setting where thousands begin or continue their college or career studies. Educating people of all ages, from all walks of life and from more than 40 nations, Oakton focuses on improving the quality of life for everyone who enters its doors.
Paid winter break
FRIDAYS OFF during the summer
Basic Function and Responsibility:
Under general supervision, provide administrative and office support services to college administrators and have recurring contact with trustees, deans, faculty, students and public officials. Exercise discretion in the application of the handling of confidential material and records and use independent judgment in the application of established policies and procedures.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare correspondence, memos, and reports covering a wide range of subjects for the administrator or own signature from notes, transcription belts or tapes and handwritten copy.
- Collect, compile, and prepare statistical data and sensitive information for reports, contracts, publications, etc., requiring some information and knowledge of college operations and activities.
- Respond to inquiries, problems and complaints from faculty, staff, students and others.
- Oversee the assembling of special materials such as class schedules, academic calendar, board agendas and packets, catalog copy, budgets, technical and financial reports.
- Organize and maintain office subject files, confidential reports and records, and enter all data to keep files current (attendance records, area rosters).
- May interview and recommend for employment support staff and student employees.
- Evaluate performance of student employees.
- Initiate required forms and reports on a regular basis in accordance with college policy and practice.
- Exercise discretion in application of handling or confidential materials.
- Arrange meetings, take notes when required, and maintain appointment calendar
- Perform other duties as directed.
- High school education including course work in office practice or an equivalent combination of training and experience is necessary.
- Two years general administrative and office support experience is required.
- Ability to utilize a keyboard to enter, retrieve and manipulate data is required.
- Advanced word processing (Microsoft Word preferred), intermediate spreadsheet application (Microsoft Excel preferred), and beginning presentation application (Microsoft PowerPoint preferred) skills are required. Beginning database application skill (Microsoft Access preferred) is desired.
HOURS: Monday - Friday, 7:45 am - 4:30 pm
Salary: $40,592 annually
For further details, visit our website at www.oakton.edu and select the Employment link to view Employment Opportunities.
Please be sure to have a current resume, cover letter, and list of, at least, three (3) professional references with contact information prepared to submit with your application. One (1) of the references must be your most recent, direct supervisor.
Oakton Community College is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, committed to employing competent, qualified individuals. Oakton Community College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, socioeconomic status, sex or gender, gender identity, or sexual orientation in admission to and participation in its educational programs, college activities and services, or in its employment practices.
Posted positions may be removed from the Oakton website without notice when it is determined that no additional applicants are required.