Human Resources Specialist
Human Resources Specialist
Position Number 999709
Department Human Resources
Salary $33,000 - $35,000
Under the general supervision of the director of human resources, this position performs professional and specialist level work in the administration of human resource programs, organizational development and training. This position is responsible for performing a variety of human resource activities such as developing, coordinating and implementing programs and events that align with university initiatives and strategies to enhance the skills, knowledge and abilities of Angelo State University employees.
Typical Duties/Job Duties
-Diagnose complex situations and analyze underlying organizational causes of issues.
-Conduct learning needs assessments to identify individual, team, departmental and organizational training opportunities.
-Conduct research, and recommend programs to enhance organizational performance.
2. Organizational Development:
-Oversee and work with the assessment, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of training and development programs.
-Design and develop training programs for management and employees to support a variety of organizational development initiatives.
-Design and facilitate development courses using audio-visual materials, instructor and participant guides and lesson plans.
-Maintain and continually leverage the Learning Management System for use by HR and the campus as a whole.
3. Compliance Training:
-Maintain proper record keeping and record maintenance/retention for all personnel records in various formats in concordance with local policy and applicable state statutes.
-Develop and/or maintain internal HR audits to qualify compliance with internal policy, state and federal guidelines or mandates and University goals.
4. University Programs:
-Coordinate and oversee the annual employee service recognition banquet.
-Coordinate and host special events and vendor fairs.
-Plan, develop and implement employee engagement events.
5. Departmental and Organizational Support:
-Manage and organize departmental communication efforts (email, web, etc.).
-Play a supportive or lead role in process automation and continuous improvement initiatives.
-Prepare internal and external reports.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of human resource management, principles and practices.
· Knowledge of business principles applicable to processes or problem solving.
· Skilled in oral and written communication, working with all levels of employees.
· Skilled in interpersonal relations, working with all levels of employees.
· Knowledge of computer systems and desktop applications.
· Knowledge of website maintenance and upkeep through the use of website maintenance software.
· Knowledge of form creation and integration with online systems.
· Ability to apply computer technology and systems logic to business processes or problem solving.
· Ability to handle multiple projects and organize data, files, reports, etc.
· Knowledge of personnel laws such as FMLA, FLSA, ADA, Title, IX, Title VII, IRCA, COBRA, HIPAA, etc.
· Knowledge of basic payroll processes and procedures.
· Knowledge of and ability to interpret and apply state and system statutes and initiatives.
· Ability to follow instructions and meet deadlines.
Bachelor's degree in business administration with a major in human resources or any business field plus one year experience in any area in human resources; experience in payroll or general office management or administration is acceptable. An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential functions of the job is acceptable.