Research Associate-Fixed Term
Opportunity for Co-PI on a research project using third-generation technologies for rapid detection and accurate quantification of viral pathogens in marine mammals and their environments.
As Co-PI, you will lead the overall assessment of the illumina and nanopore MinION sequencing and Digital Droplet PCR analysis. You will also participate as a part of an interdisciplinary team to address (1)sample collection and pipeline development (2) water quality assessment, and (3) method optimization.
Well-developed team working, communication skills and a proven track record of delivery are essential. Additionally, you will be responsible for direct supervision of one graduate research assistant in the lab.
You will be working directly with Dr.Joan B. Rose, Ph.D., the Homer Nowlin Endowed Chair of Water Research, Co-Director of the Center for Water Sciences, Co-Director of the Center for Advancing Microbial Risk Assessment and supervisor of the Water Quality, Environmental, and Molecular Microbiology Laboratory (WQEMM) at Michigan State University.
Description of Duties:
- Field collection of water samples. Some travel will berequired to Chicago, IL and San Diego, CA. Preparation, processing and testing of collected water samples. Testingtechniques used include, but are not limited to: Illumina and nanopore MinION sequencing,filtering Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Droplet Digital PCR (ddPCR),Quantitative PCR (qPCR). Communicate andcollaborate with Shedd Aquarium and U.S. Navy to complete project.
- Data managementand reporting of results.
- Supervision of one graduate research assistant.
- Ph.D. in Microbiology or equivalent degree.
- Well-developed team working, communication skills and a proven track record of delivery are essential.
- 5+ years of lab experience including experience with the following techniques:
- illumina viralmetagenomics data
- experience with bioinformatics
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
- Strong organizational skills to be able to manage, coordinate, prioritize multipletasks and projects
- Ability to work independently and as a part of a team.
CV, cover letter, names and contact information of three references