Lab Animal Resources
Performs a variety of complex technical activities involved in the planning, development, and implementation of original experimental procedures within the overall scope of a research project at Duke University. Manages or triages customer service requests, inquiries, and complaints. Provides assistance, makes recommendations, and facilitates solutions.
- Oversees isolator production. Performs specialized experimental procedures on rodents housed in isolators and ensures all gnotobiotic isolators and entrance/exit rooms are maintained in a clean and orderly fashion for breeding programs and defined experimental systems.
- Maintains the integrity of the animals, the isolators, and packing room(s) by ensuring proper breeding procedures are followed and appropriate colony levels are maintained for optimum production in compliance with all bio-security procedures.
- Performs a variety of complex procedures requiring technical expertise such as venipuncture of varying sites on rodent species, drug administration, surgical assistance, anesthesia monitoring, post-operative care, health assessment, and injections.
- Maintains and monitors the health, production and physical environment of investigator animals and notifies supervisor of variances.
- Maintains isolator breeding records including foundation charts and reports of all colony levels, number of new births, litters weaned, weanling disposition, retirement, number of animals shipped, and animals euthanized for all strains in each isolator.
- Evaluates and interprets collected data and prepares reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends, and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Supervises the receipt of incoming animals and administers all animal orders shipped from the isolators and packing room.
- Maintains inventory of materials, supplies, and equipment such as instruments, microscopes, incubators, freezers, etc. for performance of gnotobiotic operations; monitors any necessary repairs.
- Performs quality assurance procedures to monitor the proper functioning of isolators and the microbiological status. Performs the duties of husbandry staff or research technicians as needed.
- Performs all job-related duties in accordance with company safety procedures; ensures adherence to regulatory requirements, departmental SOPs, policies, practices, and IACUC protocols.
- Provides technical guidance, instructions, and consultation to faculty, research students, and staff members as required.
- Develops training materials for gnotobiotic core employees and assists with the training of technical personnel as the Gnotobiotic Core expands.
- Collaborates with Principal Investigators on special projects or studies. Consults with principal investigators and their laboratory staff to plan diagnostic testing needed for experimental schedules and to discuss animal health concerns and sample collection requirements.
- Communicates animal availability, product information, and delivery schedules to potential customers.
- Resolves basic and moderately complex problems, investigator complaints, internal inquiries, and issues regarding animal orders.
- Assists Director of Gnotobiotic Core to achieve needs of research projects and the efficient use of facilities and technical abilities; identifies and implements techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiency and reduce cost.
- Makes recommendations to Director of Veterinary Services, Director of Gnotobiotic Core, and participate in meetings regarding gnotobiotic services.
- Communicates with DLAR administrative staff to properly bill researchers for services.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
691 RESEARCH SPECIALIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a basic science background normally acquired throughhigh school education.
Work requires six years of research experienceOR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.