BUSINESS & DATA ANALYSIS LIBRARIAN
Duties: The Lippincott Library at the University of Pennsylvania seeks a proactive, service-oriented individual for the position of Business & Data Analysis Librarian. The Business & Data Analysis Librarian provides high-quality, customer-focused business information services to the Wharton School and the larger University of Pennsylvania community. This position will have a particular focus on business-oriented research data, and the incumbent will be responsible for helping to develop a program to support faculty, students and staff with data acquisition, analysis and preservation. This position offers opportunities to work collaboratively with other staff members of the Lippincott Library of the Wharton School in designing research and instructional services and selecting library resources, as well as collaborating with colleagues across the Penn Libraries system and with Wharton Research Computing in developing research data services.
DUTIES: (Description should be brief and only include principle duties.)
* Work with a team of five business librarians to deliver research/reference support services using a wide range of technologies
* Provide a full range of data support services including assisting researchers with data analysis software packages, statistical and qualitative data analysis techniques, and data collection, management, visualization and preservation.
* Design and teach specialized classes and workshops that incorporate complex, rapidly evolving informational technologies, as well as traditional methods
* Work with subject and functional specialists to increase skills and knowledge of data resources and methods
* Share skills in the development of metadata schema, standards and practices for research projects
* Plan, direct and implement special projects involving library promotion and outreach activities
* Create and maintain guides to information resources and other digital learning objects
* Participate in evening and weekend service schedules
* Master's degree in library and information science from an ALA-accredited program, and a minimum of 2 years of public service experience in an academic library setting, or equivalent combination of theory and practice, are required.
* Educational and/ or practice background in business, statistics or economics, or practical experience with business, statistics or social science quantitative research.
* Demonstrated knowledge of, and experience with business, economic or social science data sources and information
* Experience finding, acquiring, manipulating and analyzing quantitative data in a research environment
* Working knowledge of R, SAS, SPSS, STATA, Matlab or other statistical analysis software
* Working knowledge of Python or other scripting languages
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and to manage projects
* Demonstrated ability to work within and across committees and teams, to work with interdisciplinary areas across the campus and to contribute constructively to committee and team efforts
* Familiarity with commonly used business data platforms such as WRDS and Bloomberg
* Experience in an academic business library
* Demonstrated knowledge of scholarly communication and publishing issues
* Experience cleaning and converting multiple data formats, such as CSV, JSON, RDF and XML
* Knowledge of data mining and analysis tools and textual analysis
* Working knowledge of relational database software.
Reference Number: 50-26724
Salary Grade: 026
Employment Type: Exempt
Org: Lippincott Library
Special Requirements: Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
Job Family: N-Museum/Library/Archival