Requisition # 2017-7917
Department Lewis Center, Creative Writing
Category Administrative Support
Date Posted 2 months ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Part-Time
The Office Assistant reports to and provides administrative and financial support to the Program Associate and the faculty of the Program in Creative Writing. The Office Assistant must demonstrate a high degree of professionalism in a fast-paced environment, use sound judgment, maintain confidentiality, possess strong organizational skills, and remain flexible as demands and priorities change. The Office Assistant reports to the Lewis Center for the Arts Manager of Finance and Administration.
- Assist Program Associate with processing and disseminating course applications, arts supplements, student enrollment, and the high school poetry contest.
- Support Program Associate in liaising between faculty, students, and various administrative offices, answering and directing incoming inquiries.
- Provide general administrative support, including but not limited to: scheduling meetings, recording minutes, proofreading correspondence, maintaining the equipment inventory database, maintaining/ordering office supplies, managing mailroom operations, placing work orders, and making reservations.
- Maintain library and book records.
- Renew professional memberships and subscriptions.
- Create and maintain program archives on current and former faculty and alumni.
- Update publication lists.
- Perform additional miscellaneous tasks as necessary.
Faculty & Guest Support:
- Assist faculty with course resources, which includes maintaining course websites (Blackboard) and faculty ListServs, preparing class materials, formatting and editing course readers, processing orders for books and articles, assembling and collating course materials, coordinating reserve materials, and securing access to all necessary classroom technology.
- Arrange travel and hotel accommodations for faculty and guests.
Catering & Event Planning:
- Coordinate catering and equipment rentals for luncheons, meetings, and CWR readings.
- Assist the Program Associate with administrative tasks for to the Althea Ward Clark Reading Series, CK Williams Reading Series, and other CWR-related events.
- Process faculty and departmental expenses, creating and processing suppliers, invoices, vouchers, honoraria, and travel reimbursement forms; and reconciling project grant accounts.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of related experience with proven office administration abilities.
- Accuracy, close attention to detail, the ability to adhere to deadlines, and discretion when dealing with confidential materials are essential.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; must be proactive and demonstrate initiative; work independently; be flexible and resourceful; adaptable to changing needs and demands; maintain confidentiality.
- Must be able to lift and carry boxes of 25 pounds.
- Evening availability for events.
- Must have excellent computer skills. Proficiency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, and Outlook, is required.
Knowledge of Blackboard, Princeton's Information Warehouse, and PeopleSoft purchasing system is preferred. A Bachelor's degree is also preferred.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Work Schedule, If Other Than Standard Hours
Some evening events
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.