Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
The Barbara Davis Center has an opening for a full time Professional Research Assistant. This position will be assisting the ASK Program Manager and other Screening Team Leads with the implementation of this large-scale community, screening program, which will include hiring, training, and managing teams of recruiters to be deployed throughout the Denver-metro area in clinics, hospitals, the BDC, and screening sites (e.g., health fairs, schools). Responsibilities will also include follow-up tasks associated with the screening recruitment, data collection, and working with screening partners.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus seeks a Professional Research Assistant to work in the Barbara Davis Center at the CU Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
This is a full-time PRA position for a Screening Team Lead for the Autoimmunity Screening for Kids (ASK) Program at the Barbara Davis Center for Diabetes (BDC). This is a jointly funded research project from the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF), the Helmsley Charitable Trust (HCT), and the Janssen Foundation to continue a large-scale screening in children 2-17 over the next three years who live in the Denver metro area. The study aims to identify those at risk for two childhood autoimmune diseases--Type 1 Diabetes (T1D) and Celiac Disease (CD) and to follow with an education and monitoring intervention with the goal of preventing acute and long-term complications associated with diagnosis. In addition, the study has launched a metro-wide community awareness campaign to engage and recruit the public for participation. A primarily study objective is to develop, beta-test, and revise a multi-prong screening approach tailored to pediatric practices, Colorado Children's Hospital Network of Care, federally qualified health centers (FQHCs), schools, community centers or micro clinics. Goal: screen 50,000 children during the next three-year period.
This position reports to the ASK Program Manager (Cristy Geno, MPH, PhD) and will work closely with the larger ASK team, including ASK Principal Investigator (Marian Rewers, MD, PhD), Sr. Investigator (Judith Baxter, MA),Screening Team Leads, Follow-up Coordinators, Clinical, Lab and Data Management Teams. Supervision will include training and oversight for the position's responsibilities. The position is part of a larger study team that includes other related studies and will be expected to participate as part of this team.
Supervision Provided (to others):
This position will include participating in the hiring and training of new study screening staff, with responsibility for supervising recruiters including managing recruiter schedules, coordinating recruitment and staffing across screening locations, and insuring quality and coverage for the ASK Program recruitment needs.
This position generally works Monday-Friday, with weekend work required on an occasional basis to comprise a 40 hour work week. Hours will be variable and position must be flexible to meet the needs of the study. Must have reliable transportation to get to screening sites and locations across the Denver metro area. The position work area will be with the main study team at the Barbara Davis Center as well as Denver metro area clinics, hospitals, and screening sites.
- Recruit and screen study participants from local clinics, hospitals, the BDC, and screening sites and administer informed consent and a brief interview to those deciding to participate.
- Assist Program Manager and study team with practice engagement and education activities, tailoring screening protocol to specific settings, conducting the screening protocol, and managing the Screening Team Staff.
- Assist Screening Team Staff with associated screening activities at clinics, hospitals, and screening sites including: new recruiter training at participating screening sites, coordinate clinic and hospital recruitment schedules and supply inventory, produce screening results letters and coordinate with study team for proper timing of letter mailings, contact participating families, and data entry of screening forms.
- Implementation of screening protocol, including phlebotomy, physical assessment, and interviewing with children and their parents.
- Coordinate blood sample pickup and transportation schedule with clinics, hospitals, BDC, and Study Lab.
- Assist with the paperwork processing, filing, and preparation of presentations as needed.
- Other screening associated tasks that emerge (e.g. data entry and cleaning, documentation)
- Assist with quality assurance procedures and evaluation of recruiters together with screening coordinators.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary range for this position has been established at $37,000.00 to $44,000.00 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Minimum of Bachelors of Arts or Sciences degree or 4 years of paid work experience in office or medical setting. Experience can be substituted for the bachelor's requirement on a year for year basis.
- 1 year paid work experience, with at least 6-months experience in a medical research or clinical setting required.
- Certified phlebotomist or phlebotomy experience required.
- Good communication skills required.
- Spanish reading, writing and speaking fluency strongly preferred.
- Experience in recruiting participants for research studies.
- Experience working with physicians and nurses is desirable.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by September 8th, 2017. Those who do not apply September 8th, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Questions should be directed to Talisha Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10883
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20061 - SOM-Barbara Davis Center
Posting Date: Aug 28, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Talisha Bell
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00738025