Position Number 012513
Position Classification Title Purchasing Specialist
Functional Title Purchasing Specialist
Position Type Staff
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro (UNCG) Purchasing department comprises of Contract Management, Purchasing and Purchasing Cards. Purchasing is committed to providing professional and timely service to all of our customers while driving innovation and process improvements that will support the missions of the University.
The primary goal and objective of all purchasing activities at the University is to acquire the needs of the campus within statutory, regulatory and procedural guidance in an efficient and effective manner at a fair and reasonable cost with timely delivery and proper performance. As a 'custodian of public monies', the operating premise of the Purchasing Department is - integrity and professionalism.
This position reports to the Assistant Director of Purchasing and works closely with the other Purchasing Specialists in all procurement processes including bid development and management, product research and pricing as well as vendor compliance. This position works with all levels within the University by advising departments on procurement policies and procedures to obtain quality products and or services at the best possible value.
- Assists Assistant Director and Director of Purchasing in overall purchasing processes for the University, including the faculty, staff and campus-wide initiatives.
- Assists with special analyses and research projects as requested.
- Assists in monitoring procurement compliance against University-wide policies.
- Serves as a resource to the University community for procedural questions by researching and interpreting State and/or University statutes, policies and procedures.
- Maintain knowledge of federal, state and local regulatory compliance as it relates to procurement.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to establish specifications for IFB's, RFP's and RFQ's.
- Create and issue IFB's, RFP's and RFQ's.
- Resolve vendor inquiries about open bids, proposals and quotes.
- Prepare spreadsheet analysis of submitted bids, proposals or quotes. Based on analysis, make recommendation for award to stakeholders.
- Officially award IFB, RFP or RFQ.
- Review requisitions to verify compliance with University and/or State procurement policies.
- Resolve compliance issues and questions involving requisition with stakeholder.
- Review requisition for accuracy before being processed into a purchase order.
- Evaluates and processes change orders.
- Analyzes established and proposed University contracts to include negotiations.
- Explores initiatives to expand sustainable efforts on campus.
- Maintain working knowledge of the specific products and pricing for the different consortiums utilized by the department.
- Research consortiums to determine most competitive pricing of products and services.
- Manage supplier performance compliance based off of agreements/contracts issued by the Purchasing department.
- Monitor Open Order reports.
- Develop and maintain necessary records and files.
- Assists in testing departmental functionality and upgrades in current e-Procurement system (Jaggaer) and ERP system (Banner).
- Assist faculty and staff with vendor inquiries in Banner and Jaggaer.
- Seek, identify and recommend potential small, minority and woman-owned businesses to stakeholders.
- Educate small, minority and woman-owned businesses on how to do business with University.
- Participate, as directed by the University HUB Office, in community events supporting supplier diversity.
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Director of Purchasing or the Director of Purchasing.
- Assists with departmental, division, and University-wide projects as assigned.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- All levels of the University community
- University Administrators, Faculty and Staff
- Some contact with Student Organizations
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment with use of a computer and telephone.
- Work requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using a computer keyboard and the telephone.
- Occasional standing, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching.
- Occasional lifting of up to 25 pounds.
- Office located on the edge of the campus, requiring walking or driving to campus to meet with colleagues within other University departments.
BACHELOR'S DEGREE; OR ASSOCIATE'S DEGREE AND TWO YEARS OF RELATED EXPERIENCE; OR EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE. ALL DEGREES MUST BE RECEIVED FROM APPROPRIATELY ACCREDITED INSTITUTIONS.
- Bachelors degree with 3+ years purchasing experience.
- Associates degree with 5+ years advanced purchasing experience; or equivalent knowledge, training or experience will be taken into consideration.
- Higher Education purchasing experience in commodities such as printing services, scientific equipment, facilities services, computer software, furniture, etc.
- Experience working within an e-procurement system; Banner, Jaggaer, Workday, SAP, etc.
- ISM certification (CPM, APP), UPPCC certification (CPPO, CPPB) or other professional certification involving or related to procurement.
- Have a working knowledge of federal, state and local statutes and administrative codes.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a diverse team.
- Strong inter-personal and oral communication skills.
- Ability to conduct business with professionalism and diplomacy at all levels within the University.
- Possess the ability to multi-task daily duties.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing an electronic application. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Applicants are required to upload the following documents with their electronic application:
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Applicants are required to upload a list of references of least three (3) professional references that includes:
Type of reference (Professional, Supervisor, Colleague, Academic or Personal). One (1) of those references will need to be a current or previous supervisor.
Contact Phone Number
Applications are not successfully submitted until an online confirmation number has been received at the end of the application process.
Recruitment Range $42,337 - $48,663
Org #-Department Purchasing - 57602
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M, M-F
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band Purchasing Specialist
Competency Level Contributing
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Coordination of Work Flow
Ability to apply and interpret established rules and regulations to review routine request for accuracy and thoroughness. Ability to determine and execute application of the proper procurement methods and procedures for routine purchases. Ability to prepare and maintain records of some complexity.
Ability to identify issues for routine purchasing actions and assess position of each party. May require the ability to explore and recommend alternatives, with oversight.
Ability to establish, develop and maintain relationships with departmental personnel, vendors and other customers/clients. Ability to respond to routine/basic requests.
Managing Work and Performance
Ability to execute policies and procedures of area of assignment.
Open Date 08/28/2017
Close Date 09/22/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 69
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu