Vice Provost for Academic Programs
California State University, Chico invites applications and nominations for the position of Vice Provost for Academic Programs (VPAP) in the Division of Academic Affairs. The VPAP serves as a key member of the Provost’s senior leadership team, reports directly to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, and supports the mission, values, and priorities of the Academic Plan within the context of the University’s Strategic Plan for the Future.
The VPAP serves as the Provost’s chief advisor and leads: academic programs, assessment, and accreditation; student retention, success, and graduation; and supports the University’s mission and commitment to excellence in serving students. The VPAP is the Provost’s representative – providing vision and direction – in all academic matters related to: curriculum and pedagogy; academic planning; California State University (CSU) system compliance and initiatives; program reviews; and program-specific accreditations and certifications. The VPAP works closely with college deans and shared governance processes on campus (e.g., Academic Senate) in the oversight of curricular and pedagogical matters affecting student success. As a transformative leader committed to serving the people of California by recognizing diversity and inclusion as an institutional priority for the University, the VPAP will envision and implement improved processes and innovative projects within a complex system that reflect the values of Chico State while moving the University towards being the best it can be.
The VPAP provides leadership to the Office of Graduate Studies, Institutional Research, Office of International Education, Office of Undergraduate Education, the Institute for Sustainable Development, Curriculum Services, and Faculty Development. The VPAP provides management and leadership relative to initiatives and special projects, and performs other duties as assigned by the Provost.
The Vice Provost for Academic Programs will also:
- Collaborate with University administrators, faculty, staff, and student groups and beyond (California State University system, community, legislature, etc.).
- Provide leadership on data-driven planning efforts and decision-making by ensuring the sound development and management of operational infrastructures for data collection, analysis, modeling, management, distribution, and presentation.
- Coordinate, assess, and improve institutional effectiveness measures and accountability management systems that support the CSU Graduation Initiative, the Chico State Strategic Plan, and the Academic Plan while addressing the goals of the WASC Senior College and University Commission.
- Value creativity and innovation.
- Represent the Provost across campus divisions and within the California State University system.
- Provide staff direction and complete supervisory duties.
- An earned doctorate or other terminal degree in an appropriate discipline sufficient to warrant an academic appointment at the rank of a full professor.
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team member of a management team.
- A minimum of five years of experience with academic administrative leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability and willingness to share information with diverse audiences.
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of shared governance and transparency.
- Demonstrated successful leadership in academics.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity through leadership, active planning, allocation of resources, and accountability.
- Demonstrated experience creating high-quality learning environments.
- A distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, and service.
- Knowledge of the latest analytical techniques to promote data-driven planning and decision-making.
- Demonstrated ability to increase the value and performance of university processes.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain effective teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to support teaching, scholarship, and professional activities as exemplified by the teacher-scholar model.
- Demonstrated competence/knowledge in a collective bargaining environment.
- Experience in leadership efforts relative to academic program review and accreditation.
- Experience generating and allocating resources in support of a unit’s goals, mission, and professional activities, including responsibility for a complex budget.
As a university that educates students from a variety of ethnic, cultural and international backgrounds, we value and seek a diverse faculty, staff, and administration. Chico State welcomes applicants who are knowledgeable about and interested in working within a cross-cultural learning environment.
Applicants should submit a complete and current résumé, as well as names, addresses, and telephone numbers of up to five (5) references to the CSU, Chico online system listed below. A cover letter of interest should indicate how an applicant’s qualifications relate to the responsibilities of the Vice Provost Academic Programs. Applicants should briefly articulate their leadership philosophy and explain why they aspire to this position at this stage of their career.
Review of applications will begin September 28, 2017 and continue until the position is filled. As a condition of employment, candidates will have to submit to a confidential background check and submit official, sealed transcripts. All information obtained will be strictly confidential.
Link to Apply Online
For a full position description and to submit an application: http://jobs.csuchico.edu/postings/4503