Communications and Marketing Manager
Communications and Marketing Manager
Department: Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies
Are you seeking to shape a better world? The Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies (Kroc School) is the nation's first stand-alone school of peace and justice. We develop unique programs and learning experiences to prepare and support innovative changemakers and peacebuilders to address humanity's urgent challenges involving violent conflict, injustice, inequality and oppression.
The Kroc School is a young institution (10 years) with a big mission: to promote learning, scholarship and practice for positive systems change in local and global communities. We are looking for an entrepreneurial Communication and Marketing Manager who will work with the Dean, faculty and staff to recruit best talent from around the world to our programs in peace and justice, social innovation and conflict management and resolution. The Manager must demonstrate understanding of the education sector. The Manager must exercise entrepreneurship as we continue to build a robust communication platform for the effective outreach of global audiences of students, alumni, partners and donors. We seek expertise in social media and emerging media outlets for greater, cost-effective, outreach.
The Communications and Marketing Manager is a key member of the Dean's administrative leadership team and has primary responsibility for establishing, integrating and managing the brand of the Joan B. Kroc School of Peace Studies (Kroc School), enhancing the reputation, promotion and visibility of the Kroc School to national and international audiences. The manager will work alongside the Dean and Directors on strategy and promotion of the School and its students, faculty and alumni. Tasks in this position include researching, writing and editing feature stories, articles, and news items for the website, print, social media and e-publications. The Manager oversees the integrity of the School's website and guides the design, including managing processes of redesign. It is this person's responsibility to support the creation and review of all print collateral materials. The Manager must exercise entrepreneurship as we continue to build a robust communication platform for the effective outreach of global audiences of students, alumni, partners and donors. This position works under the Dean and receives general guidance and direction. This position exercises supervision over temporary staff and student workers as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Establish, Integrate and Manage the Brand
• Lead, develop and implement an agenda for messaging, content and branding.
• Develop, present and implement a comprehensive communications strategy and social marketing plan that enhances the reputation and increases the visibility of the Kroc School, and drives traffic to the website and social media sites. The plan should focus on short-term strategies, goals and engagement (six months to one year) and long-term strategies, goals and engagement (over one year), and integrate print, web, e-communications, social media and other emerging technologies.
• Maintain an active and vibrant presence on, drive participation to, and respond in a timely manner to posts on the School's social media sites.
• Track the School's social reach and reputation using available analytical tools. Prepare and submit quarterly analysis of trends and traffic, and benchmark the report against similar and aspirational institutions.
• Guide the design and review of all print collateral materials in order to ensure USD and Kroc School brand standards are applied.
Manage the Kroc School Communication and Marketing on Website, Social Media and E-Publications
• Actively manage and oversee the Kroc School website and social media including, but not limited to:
• Research, write and edit content for web pages, weekly feature stories, news items, and event postings;
• Coordinate video and photo shoots with subject, photographer and art director;
• Post Kroc School specific content from other outlets;
• Work with department and program web maintainers in order to ensure they are actively creating and maintaining content;
• Review and approve all proposed content.
• Work with web developers to effectively manage the IA, post new content, create templates, organize maintainer meetings and ensure overall site integrity.
• In conjunction with the Director of Development and Alumni Relations, research, write, edit and distribute School specific publications such as print and e-newsletters and the annual Dean's Report.
• Work with Advancement Services to coordinate and regularly update distribution lists.
• Manage the Kroc School's digital marketing assets.
Enhance the Reputation, Promotion and Visibility of the Kroc School
• Continually work with the Dean and Directors to enhance and extend the Kroc School brand through all media to promote core values and attributes.
• Serve as liaison to University Communications for the purpose of enhancing the Kroc School's reputation, creating greater visibility and promotion of its faculty, student and alumni achievements, and special events through internal (e.g. USD Magazine) and external outlets (local, national and international publications).
• Draft, edit and post press releases and media advisories in collaboration with University Communications.
• Provide marketing support to the Dean and Directors as needed.
• Track the payment of expenses associated with marketing and communications efforts.
• All other duties as assigned by the Dean.
The ideal candidate will have at least 3 years' of demonstrated and successful experience in communication and marketing, with clear evidence of strategic thinking and an ability to get things done in a smaller organizational setting, from ideation to implementation. Demonstrated communication skills are essential for success, both in writing and orally.
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications
• Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university. Master's degree preferred.
• Three years of demonstrated and successful experience in writing, editing, marketing and social media for business purposes, communications, web communications and public relations. Five years of experience preferred.
• Demonstrated expertise in the professional use of social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn) and the internet.
• Demonstrated experience in the use of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Adobe Cloud (Photoshop, Publisher, InDesign) or related design software, and Cascade Server or other web content software.
• Knowledge of AP style.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, writing, communication and time management skills.
• Detail oriented and able to prioritize, multitask and complete a variety of projects.
• Able to fluidly shift mental focus between detail, technical, interpersonal, and creative tasks at any given moment.
• Ability to initiate, set priorities and work effectively with minimal supervision.
• Ability to work collegially with faculty, staff, students and the community.
• Ability to remain flexible and to work in a growing and changing customer service oriented environment, and possess flexibility and versatility in order to contribute to evolving work situations.
• Assume responsibility and effectively resolve problems by exercising independent judgment in meeting challenges and creating and implementing procedures.
• Think and act strategically with great vision and exercise self-initiative and creativity.
• Strong public/media relations skills and marketing abilities, particular in web/brand management.
• Ability to brand and market using print, e-marketing and social media.
•Actively use, embrace and understand the importance and changing nature of social media.
• Deliver messages across print, online and mobile communications.
• Ability to establish and maintain strong relationships internally and externally.
• Ability to learn new software applications.
• Willing and able to work extra hour at peak periods, and evenings and weekends as needed.
• Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.
Salary: Commensurate with experience; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 37.5 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus.For more information, visitwww.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click ‘Apply Now' to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers' review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at email@example.com
Click Here To Apply