Educational Technology Specialist
The Educational Technology Specialist is a central part of Life West's expanded efforts in educational technology in the classroom and in online learning. The Educational Technology Specialist will have a strong understanding of pedagogy and learning technologies. S/he will think strategically about teaching with technology and be able to conceptualize and implement solutions. S/he will have a love of learning and a passion for helping others to create learning opportunities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Specific duties and responsibilities for the Educational Technology Specialist include, but are not limited to, those noted below:
- Provide support for teaching and learning technologies by serving as in-house expert in the development and functionality of our learning management system, Canvas, and other educational technologies.
- Provide support to faculty in the following areas: online education; hybrid/blended learning environments; innovative pedagogy, and peer education
- Work with the faculty Development Committee to advance the achievement of college learning goals and the college’s strategic plan relative to teaching and learning around the use of technology
- Assist departments and faculty in the development and use of these technologies to provide online and blended learning as a part of the LCCW curriculum and the continuing education department through:
- Coordinating auxiliary educational technology used for course delivery (video hosting, screen casting, video editing, YouTube, Vimeo, Canvas app, e-reader software, etc).
- Training instructors on how to use LCCW Learning Management Systems and related technologies.
- Creating and maintaining instructional videos and other training tools that allow instructors to be as self-sufficient as possible.
- Managing all classroom course needs with regard to educational technology. This includes developing self-paced tutorials for instructors explaining how to use essential technologies in the classroom; providing on-site training and high-touch support for instructors who require extra help; maintaining daily oversight to ensure a high-level of quality control for all technologies employed in the classroom; troubleshooting where needed.
- Designing and producing multimedia and interactive course materials, e.g. videos, podcasts, webinars, and interactive documents for tablet devices
- In collaboration with the Educational Technology and Digital Systems Coordinator, provide high-quality technical support to students, instructors, and staff working with our LMS and other online learning tools.
- In collaboration with the Educational Technology and Digital Systems Coordinator explore ways to bring new educational technology tools into the classroom to enhance the learning experience; research and recommend new collaborative technologies as the need arises.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Training and/or Experience
- Associates Degree with a concentration in instructional design or related discipline or equivalent experience.
- Teaching experience
- Experience in educational technology.
- Experience using web design, audio-visual technologies and other online course enhancements
- Experience using a learning management system (e.g., Moodle, Blackboard, Canvas).
- Experience in supporting users of various types of devices, eg., Windows, Mac, iOS, Android.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Characteristics
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong creative skills
- Ability to manage and multiple and varied tasks with frequent high levels of urgency or sensitivity
- Ability to work collaboratively and foster strong team environment
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills, as well as a high level of sophistication in social and professional settings
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and address technical issues arising from administrative, learning, and teaching environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work calmly, professionally, and with attention to detail, and with a strong focus on student and instructor support.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to and work well within a team environment.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and under strict deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills.
- Ready to learn new skills and technologies as needed.