Chair, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) invites applications for the chair of the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine position(https://smhs.gwu.edu/biochemistry/).
Research in the Department focuses on cancer biology and many faculty are affiliated with the recently established George Washington Cancer Center (http://smhs.gwu.edu/cancercenter/). The Center brings together the resources of the University, the GW Medical Faculty Associates, and the GW University Hospital to expand current research efforts in the fight against cancer and to position our institution as the premier cancer care provider in the Washington, D.C. area. Other areas of faculty research include applied bioinformatics, computational genomics, autism, and cellular and molecular biochemical studies of cardiomyopathy and hepatobiology.
Research-active faculty participate in the School's interdisciplinary Ph.D. program in the biomedical sciences. Department faculty also teach in the Physician Assistant and M.D. programs and in the department’s M.S. program.
The Department is currently home to 14 tenured/tenure-track faculty members and 12 faculty members with research appointments.
The Chair’s responsibilities include:
- maintaining an active, externally-funded research program;
- providing management and leadership to the department;
- overseeing the McCormick Genomics and Proteomics Center, a genomic research center funded by endowment that supports research at the interface of computational genomics and laboratory-based experimentation;
- participating in and coordinating the educational programs of the department by managing faculty involvement in the biochemistry components of the curriculum for the M.D. and Physician Assistant programs and the departmental M.S. program in Bioinformatics and Molecular Biochemistry; and
- engaging in service to the School and University.
Basic Qualifications. The successful candidate will be an internationally-recognized scientist with a Ph.D. in an appropriate field and/or a M.D. degree and an outstanding record of extramurally funded research. Candidates should also possess a background and experience that has prepared them to lead the department in fulfilling its research agenda and educational responsibilities.
To Apply. To be considered, please complete an online faculty application at http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/45351. There you will be asked to upload a curriculum vitae and a cover letter and to provide the names of professional references. Review of applications will begin on September 25, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered. Successful completion of a background screening will be required as a condition of hire.
The George Washington University and the George Washington University Medical Faculty Associates are an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.