Director of Marketing - Harvard Extension School
Duties & Responsibilities
This position is responsible for directing the marketing for Harvard Extension School, which serves approximately 14,000 part-time students on an annual basis and has ambitious goals for future growth. Harvard Extension School is part of the Division of Continuing Education (DCE).
Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Growth Initiatives, this position is an important part of the leadership team within the Office of Strategic Growth Initiatives, a department of approximately 40 staff. This position oversees 2-3 direct reports and works closely with the Director of Marketing Services, the Marketing Directors for the other schools/programs and several external partners.
- Develops and manages the marketing strategy for Harvard Extension School. Leads market research efforts to gather insights on demand, competitive opportunities, and brand awareness to inform positioning.
- Establishes a global B2C lead generation strategy and marketing plan that attracts qualified leads from across the globe and converts them to enrolled students.
- Develops and delivers periodic quantitative and qualitative reports on optimization of the marketing funnel, campaign results, and return on investment for marketing campaigns.
- Works with the marketing services team to create and execute integrated marketing campaigns and effective go-to-market strategies to acquire and retain qualified students for existing and new offerings. Guides the production of valuable content within the marketing services team for the public websites and social channels
- Works with the marketing services group and strategic partners to allocate an advertising budget of approximately $2.5M through the most effective channels as supported by data. Measures and reports back on results and focuses on continuous optimization.
- Interacts with prospects and new students and shares those insights. Serves as the voice of the customer and provides industry insights to identify and shape existing and future offerings. Works with academic program Directors to determine the value proposition and points of differentiation of programs and builds effective content to convey those. Educates both internal and external stakeholders and student service teams on new and existing offerings and their benefits.
- Works with alumni affairs to gather alumni data and guides direct reports in developing an event strategy for prospective students.
Bachelor’s degree in the Arts or Sciences
A minimum of 8 years of progressive management experience, advanced knowledge of marketing
Advanced experience in metrics and marketing to adult and online students
Supervisory experience required.
The Division seeks a seasoned, metrics-driven professional who is versed in marketing to adult and online students. This role requires both strong project and stakeholder management skills, and the ability to set and maintain priorities in a very busy department. A strong background in market analysis, quantitative and qualitative research, as well as complex data-set analysis is critical. Must understand the complexity of higher education issues, the environment, and decision-making process. Must believe in the mission and academic philosophy of HES. Experience developing strategy for digital and direct marketing, market research, SEO/SEM, social media, content marketing, web presence, mobile, channel selection and optimization, and PR are important. A good listener with high energy, drive and both intellectual and emotional intelligence. Strong character; integrity, bias to action, tolerance for process; sense of humor. Master’s degree preferred.
The Division of Continuing Education (DCE) comprises several entities including the Harvard Extension School, the Harvard Summer School, the Harvard Professional Development Programs and the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement. For more than a century, Harvard Extension School has made Harvard faculty and teaching accessible to a diverse community of local, national, and international students. Harvard Extension School enrolls approximately 13,000 students per year in approximately 65 liberal arts and professional fields. More than 650 open enrollment online and classroom courses are offered at affordable prices to our communities across the world. Harvard Summer School offers approximately 300 courses on the Harvard Campus to 6,000 secondary school, college and adult learners and more than 30 international study abroad programs for up to 600 students each summer. The Division also includes the Harvard Institute for Learning in Retirement with approximately 550 active members and Harvard Professional Development Programs offering over 80 noncredit programs annually.