Faculty, Head Librarian
General Statement of Job
To manage and supervise Library Services faculty, staff, operations, budget, facility, services, and resources of a campus library, provide reference and information literacy instruction services and serve as part of a district-wide Library Services Department and Management Team.
Location Hays Campus Hours 40 hours/week as assigned; Generally Monday-Friday,8:00 a.m 5:00 p.m. Some flexible hours. Salary Salary is assigned according to the Full-Time Faculty Salary Scale. FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Dean, Library Services Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Understanding the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Supervisory practices and principles.
- Interest in a commitment to an adult teaching and learning environment; effective presentation and teaching competencies.
- Maintains competencies in teaching and learning areas including technological skills appropriate to position.
- Sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Subject matter and related and/or relevant topics and issues in Library Services.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Must demonstrate an understanding of the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to exercise tact and discretion, and attention to detail and follow-through. Effectively assisting student learning.
- Must demonstrate creativity and innovation in teaching, the integration of technology into teaching, and service in the profession and/or the community.
- Maintaining an established schedule, including some evenings and weekends, and possible multiple campus locations.
- Must demonstrate sensitivity to, and knowledge of, a diverse student body.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Experience with the internet and college/institutional systems in an automated workplace.
- Ability to use personal computers, including word processing, spreadsheets, productivity databases, presentation design, and web-authoring/design.
Required Work Experience
- Two years supervisory experience (managing staff and services) in a public services library setting.
Preferred Work Experience
- More than two years work experience managing staff and services in a public services, academic or community college library.
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science from an ALA-accredited institution.
- Reliable transportation may be required for multiple campus locations.
- Work is routinely performed in a library setting.
- Able to push a fully loaded book cart, and place and remove books from shelves.
- Occasional lifting of 10 pounds of books in a book carton or book bag.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, kneeling, pushing and pulling, and manual dexterity.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.