Chair, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine
I. RECRUITMENT PLAN
Posting Number: F001174 Academic Title: Chair, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine Rank: Professor, Associate Professor Administrative Title: Chair, Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine Discipline Basic Sciences Specialty: Contract Type: With Tenure, Tenure Track Required Licenses/Certifications and other Specific Requirements: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Proposed Start Date: 01/01/2018 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Position Description Summary:
The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) invites applications for the chair of the Department of Biochemistry & Molecular Medicine position(https://smhs.gwu.edu/biochemistry/).
Research in the Department focuses on cancer biology and many faculty are affiliated with the recently established George Washington Cancer Center (http://smhs.gwu.edu/cancercenter/). The Center brings together the resources of the University, the GW Medical Faculty Associates, and the GW University Hospital to expand current research efforts in the fight against cancer and to position our institution as the premier cancer care provider in the Washington, D.C. area. Other areas of faculty research include applied bioinformatics, computational genomics, autism, and cellular and molecular biochemical studies of cardiomyopathy and hepatobiology.
Research-active faculty participate in the School's interdisciplinary Ph.D. program in the biomedical sciences. Department faculty also teach in the Physician Assistant and M.D. programs and in the department's M.S. program.
The Department is currently home to 14 tenured/tenure-track faculty members and 12 faculty members with research appointments.Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
The Chair's responsibilities include:
• maintaining an active, externally-funded research program;
• providing management and leadership to the department;
• overseeing the McCormick Genomics and Proteomics Center, a genomic research center funded by endowment that supports research at the interface of computational genomics and laboratory-based experimentation;
• participating in and coordinating the educational programs of the department by managing faculty involvement in the biochemistry components of the curriculum for the M.D. and Physician Assistant programs and the departmental M.S. program in Bioinformatics and Molecular Biochemistry; and
• engaging in service to the School and University.
The successful candidate will be an internationally-recognized scientist with a Ph.D. in an appropriate field and/or a M.D. degree and an outstanding record of extramurally funded research. Candidates should also possess a background and experience that has prepared them to lead the department in fulfilling its research agenda and educational responsibilities.Advertised Salary: Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. Other Benefits: Other Information: Special Instructions to Applicants:
To be considered, please complete an online faculty application, upload a curriculum vitae and a cover letter, and provide the names of professional references. Review of applications will begin on September 25, 2017 and will continue until the position is filled. Only complete applications will be considered.Department Link: https://smhs.gwu.edu/biochemistry/ Posting Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Background Screening Successful completion of a background screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.Quick Link http://www.gwu.jobs/postings/45351
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Are you an internationally-recognized scientist with a PhD in an appropriate field and/or a MD degree?
- * Do you have an outstanding record of extramurally funded research?
- * Do you possess a background and experience that has prepared you to lead the department in fulfilling its research agenda and educational responsibilities?
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter