Manager, Upward Bound Program
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
Upward Bound (UB) at The George Washington University (GW) School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) declares its commitment to provide supplemental education, extracurricular resources and opportunities for low income, potential first-generation college students to facilitate their matriculation into an accredited, 4-year post-secondary institution. Our program primarily identifies students having an expressed desire to pursue medical and allied health careers and offers extensive exposure and accessibility to these disciplines in addition to the core academic subjects: English Composition and Literature; Integrated Mathematics; Laboratory Science; and Foreign Language.
Upward Bound is currently seeking a Manager. The Manager implements, manages and oversees all activities associated with the Upward Bound Program to ensure that the program meets the University's objectives and missions.
• Directs, manages and develops all administrative activities associated with meeting program objectives and missions.
• Develops and implements individualized educational plans for program participants aimed at improving their academic performance and enhancing the possibility of success
• Interacts with faculty and educational leaders in SMHS, school administrators, and local community leaders to provide and receive feedback that will improve UB
• Oversees and participates in developing published materials used to promote the program to educators, schools, administrators, prospective participants and other external parties
• Develops, recommends, and implements policies and procedures to ensure that all administrative activities associated with the program are properly facilitated
• Recruits, trains and supervises a team of academic program staff members including; Academic Coordinator, Advisor, Teachers and Tutors
• Develops and Solicits non-federal resources to help support program activities
• Implements and interacts closely with the Parent and Community Advisory Committee to help ensure their continued participation and knowledge of UB
• Coordinates community service referral system for UB and its participants
• Recommends and manages the approved annual operating budget
• Ensures the timely completion and maintenance of participant records
• Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 4 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Graphic design, motion graphic, or animation skills
- Digital photography skills (indoor event and action)
- Experience using Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign
- Knowledge of accessibility standards
- Knowledge about instructional design
We are looking for someone with excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication, and customer service skills; strong attention to detail and professional quality control; the ability and desire to independently learn new applications, tools and equipment; ability to manage and prioritize small tasks and large projects simultaneously; and strong collaboration and troubleshooting skills.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: School of Medicine and Health Sciences (SMHS) Family Academic Affairs Sub-Family Program Administration Stream Management Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday- Friday 8:30 am- 5:30 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006611 Job Open Date: 08/25/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What are your salary expectations?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter