College Relations and Communications - DIRECTOR ADVANCEMENT MARKETING
Vacancy ID S2127 Job Title DIRECTOR ADVANCEMENT MARKETING Department College Relations and Communications School/Parent Organization College Relations and Advancement Parent Org Division College Relations and Advancement Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 08/07/2017 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
The Director develops and implements a comprehensive marketing and communication strategy for the alumni relations and development programs and provides leadership in raising Ithaca College's profile to contribute to the engagement of students, alumni and donors, families and other college community members to create new opportunities, increase engagement, and garner fundraising success.
• In collaboration with the Executive Director of Marketing Strategy, develop and lead the delivery of a cohesive communications strategy for the college geared toward alumni, parents, and friends. Lead the advancement marketing team in developing and executing comprehensive communication plans targeted to Institutional Advancement priorities, with primary responsibility for alumni, parents, and friend audiences.
• In collaboration with leaders and team members across the Office of College Relations and Communications (OCRC), contribute to the development and execute a comprehensive and integrated strategic college relations and communications plan.
• Work with the Institutional Advancement leadership team to target and prioritize key alumni relations and development audiences and develop innovative and effective communication strategies.
• Plan, help prepare, and finalize communications that support engagement, volunteering, and giving by individuals, corporations, and foundations across an array of formats and channels including print and digital publications, email, web, mobile, video, social media, events, speeches, direct mail, etc.
• Oversee the establishment of partnership agreements with institutional advancement leadership. Work in collaboration with partners in advancement, communications and academic units to develop and execute annual marketing and communications plans that include measurable goals, a timeline, a budget, and a mechanism for evaluation.
• Oversee a complex communications timeline and ensure timely, results-focused production of all communication pieces across all platforms and mediums.
• Work with the News and Publications team to identify and implement media outreach goals by identifying opportunities and securing positive media coverage of alumni, gifts/donors/campaign and general media relations.
• Plan and manage communications for special solicitation, engagement, or stewardship projects, working with the president, vice president, associate vice president, and other administration, deans, faculty, and student leaders as required.
• Manage internal and external advancement communication resources to produce cost-effective communications work within budgets. Recuirt, identify, and manage freelancers to outsource additional Institutional Advancement communications work.
• In support of marketing plans, create informative, persuasive, and inspiring content and serve as a project manager on high-level projects from conception to completion.
• In partnership with OCRC leadership, identify and lead the creation of tools to aid campus partners in promoting events and achieving marketing goals using best practices identified by OCRC. Provide training on the tools and continuously reevaluate them for ease of use, efficiency, and whether they should be updated or evolved.
• Partner with others within the OCRC to bridge strategies and utilize functional expertise to maximize the impact of marketing and communication efforts. Partner with colleagues to increase engagement, generate leads, share news and research, and execute strategies and deliverables.
• Consistently research best practices, identify new, leading-edge solutions, remain abreast of competitors' advancement marketing efforts, and act as an expert in trends and innovation for advancement marketing solutions.
• Develop and demonstrate a multicultural awareness and contribute to cultivating an inclusive, diverse and respectful College community. Demonstrate civil and inclusive behavior when interacting with staff, faculty, students and visitors to the College. Promote a flexible, collaborative and inclusive work and living environment and engage in educational opportunities to increase awareness and understanding of diversity and inclusion.
• Ability to see the big picture and act as a strategic thinker
• Superior writing and presentation skills
• Excellent interpersonal communication and leadership abilities
• Ability to work with highly confidential or sensitive information
• Ability to make sound judgments, often with little to no direct guidance, about complex communications or operational matters
• Ability to manage high-level stakeholder relationships to foster mutual trust and respect
• Capability to effectively articulate, present, and explain recommendations
• Ability to plan and shepherd complex projects that involve partners inside and outside one's own immediate team
• Understanding of how to use communications, engagement, and fundraising analytics
• Collaborative team-player
• Knowledge of best practices in digital marketing, user experience, email marketing, branding, social media, and event management and promotion
• Ability to plan and manage projects, from simple to complex and long-range
• An eye for what makes a good story, and the ability to tie that story to strategic pillars or needs
• Perpetual eagerness to explore and share the latest advancement marketing and communications tools/trends
• Ability to make confident, informed decisions independently
• Knowledge of higher-ed advancement cycles and trends
• Ability to effectively work and interact respectfully within a diverse and inclusive environment
• Bachelor's degree in communications or related field
• Minimum 5 years experience in communications, fundraising, public relations, marketing, volunteer management, or related field
• Demonstrated strength in team leadership and supervision
• Excellent writing skills and hands-on knowledge experience with digital communication and publishing and print production
• Results oriented with proven ability to review, assess and continually improve results and processes, establish priorities, and meet critical deadlines
• Experience working in higher education or other complex fundraising environment is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, cover letter, and list of three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. We offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).