Project Closeout Accountant Intern
The Campus Controller's Office is now accepting applications for a Project Closeout Accountant Intern. This full-time intern position is located in the Sponsored Projects Accounting unit of the Campus Controller's Office at the University of Colorado Boulder. The Project Closeout Accountant Intern will further develop the knowledge and skill required to complete the process of award management; and will work closely with peers within SPA and with the Office of Contracts and Grants, SPA staff, principal investigators, campus departmental staff, and awarding agency personnel in the management of awards. The intern will learn to provide analysis of award budgets in order to ensure that all expenses are in line with the contract terms prior to closing out the project, and develop skills necessary to move to the professional accountant level.
This position may also involve cross-training across other areas of CCO to further develop accounting skills that are necessary for the success of the university.
Who we are:
The Campus Controller's Office (CCO) is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the university is preserved through proper financial accounting and reporting. Our focus is on maintaining compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, policies and procedures, as well as contract requirements for sponsored projects. We provide oversight, assistance and training in the administration of financial stewardship on behalf of the University of Colorado Boulder.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Verify accurate information is recorded, classified, reconciled and is within the sponsor's budget and cost requirements.
- Ensure financial reports comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all rules, regulations, policies and procedures regarding Sponsored Projects funds.
- Review and ensure all interim and final financial reports have been submitted as required with the varying rules and regulations of individual sponsor agreements.
- Reconcile University Cash and funded records with sponsor balances encompassing expenses and reimbursement requests.
- Review and prepare project accounts for closure, resolve cash deficits and accounts receivable issues, resolve outstanding encumbrance or payables issues, process refunds or fund transfers if necessary, prepare correcting entries, modify attributes.
- Close projects in the University finance system.
- Analyze typical expenditures for assigned project accounts, as well as atypical situations such as; participant costs, interest bearing accounts, fellowships/training grants and special award supplements. Analyze cash position.
- Verify that indirect costs are accurate, subcontract indirect charges are adjusted and accounted for properly, cost-sharing/matching funds are identified and reported.
- Identify and research budget deficits, possible dis-allowances, resolve conflicts and process correcting entries.
- Provide customer support to campus department personnel regarding all aspects of sponsored projects closeout according to the new Uniform Guidance, University Policies, State and sponsor rules and regulations.
- Provide analysis and guidance to department administrators, principal investigators and department chairs to resolve budget deficits and unallowable expenses charged to the sponsored project.
- Consult with and advise departmental personnel and researchers regarding rules and regulations, allowable expenses, policies and procedures. Work closely with departmental personnel to instruct them on matters related to restricted funds.
- Participate in campus-wide outreach/customer service program - provide guidance and consulting to campus personnel in the proper administration of contracts and grants, use of the PeopleSoft Financial module, and University business processes.
- Assist various SPA units in shifting workload and priorities.
- Be mindful of and recommend opportunities for growth of self and/or unit.
- Provide recommendations for enhancements and assist with implementation of system upgrades and implementations.
- Provide training and guidance to SPA units and campus departmental personnel on finance system functionality.
- Work closely with SPA staff and campus department personnel on addressing issues and potential improvements to the finance system.
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $38,000.00, non-negotiable. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be engaged. Be professional. Be curious. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in accounting, finance, business or related field.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:For first consideration, please apply by Thursday August 31th.. We are recruiting for two vacancies and will keep the position open until filled.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10807.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10519 - Campus Controller's Office
Posting Date: Aug 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00737879