Instructor - Clinician
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect
Instructor - Clinician
Position #736133 - Requisition #10412
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and inter-professional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics, Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect has an opening for a full-time Instructor - Clinician position. This position will work 50% time with the ABC-AHT project and 50% time as part of the outpatient behavioral health clinic. This is a faculty appointment within the Department of Pediatrics with primary focus on provision of clinical care to children and their families. The Kempe Center has built a reputation as a world leader in the field of child abuse and neglect since the first Child Protection Team was established in 1958 and the Center became a Section in the Department of Pediatrics in 1972. The Center is known for its expertise in treating abused and neglected children, training future professionals, and for excellence in research, education, advocacy and community service. The Center offers evidence-based and population need-based mental health services for abused and traumatized children.
The position will be trained and supervised by the developers of the Attachment and Bio-Behavioral Catch-Up (ABC) intervention model. Upon successful completion of training and supervision, the clinician's adherence and fidelity to the model will be evaluated for certification in the model. The ABC model helps caregivers provide nurturing care and re-interpret children's behavioral signals so they can provide a responsive, predictable environment to enhance children's regulatory capabilities. Use of the ABC model is required for the ABC-AHT project with caregivers of very young children (ages 6 months to 2 years) with abusive head trauma (AHT). These services are home-based, in the caregivers' home, on a weekly basis for 10 weeks.
The outpatient behavioral health clinic serves children and families, birth to 18 years of age, dealing with behavioral health consequences of child abuse and neglect. Services may be offered on the Anschutz Medical Campus, clients' homes, or other community locations. Training in a second evidence based treatment model aimed at young children may be a possibility, with the assumption that successful completion result in certification and rostering in the intervention.
Given that a portion of this work is provided in family homes, travel is required within the Denver Metropolitan and surrounding regions for clinical appointments and meetings. Some evening hours will be required. Some weekend hours may be required for the ABC-AHT project.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Provide home-based intervention services utilizing the ABC intervention model as part of the ABC-AHT project
- Participate in supervision and fidelity assessment meetings
- Participate in research study meetings
- Provide high quality psychotherapy to children, adolescents and families dealing with the behavioral health consequences of child abuse and neglect. Therapy services may include individual, family and group
- Phone screening and triage of incoming calls from families and other professionals to determine clinical needs for the outpatient behavioral health clinic
- Assessment, formulation of clinical conceptualization, and treatment planning of behavioral health needs
- Provide services in the office, client homes, or other community locations as part of the outpatient behavioral health clinic
- Interface with other providers in various disciplines, such as behavioral health and medical
- Deliver court testimony as needed
- Collection and evaluation of outcome data for the outpatient behavioral health clinic
- Other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- Master's Degree in social work or other related field
- Must possess a current Colorado license as a mental health professional (such as LCSW, LPC)
- Must have clinical experience working with children and families
- Must be able to obtain medical staff privileges with CU Med and Children's Hospital Colorado
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal, sex offender, and motor vehicle background check
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license
- Must maintain reliable transportation and be willing to travel in the Denver Metropolitan and surrounding regions for clinical appointments and meetings
- Must maintain full vehicle coverage/insurance
- Must be willing and able to work nights and weekends as needed
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Able to participate in supervision with the intervention developers, receive and incorporate critical feedback in intervention implementation
- Able to videotape intervention sessions for use in supervision and fidelity assessments
- Able to demonstrate awareness, sensitivity, and competence in dealing with cultural and socioeconomic diversity among participating families
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge of evidence-based practices in the treatment of children and families exposed to abuse and neglect
- Provides excellent customer service to families and referring agencies
- Skilled in conducting intakes and assessments as part of ongoing behavioral/mental health treatment
- Able to provide education and intervention to promote positive parenting skills and to promote developmental awareness and understanding
- Capacity to use multiple theoretical modalities of psychotherapy
- Skilled in working with families and children birth to 18 years old
- Ability to work as part of a cohesive clinical team and provide peer consultation
- Knowledge of Microsoft office
- Capable of learning and using electronic medical record system
- Prior experience providing home-based intervention
- Prior experience with research programs
- Experience with very young children with cognitive and motor impairments
- Experience using evidence based practices (such as TF-CBT, CPP, PCIT)
- Experience working with children and families involved in multiple systems such as the child welfare system and/or the legal system
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is 54,000 - 58,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Questions should be directed to Terri Lewis @ email@example.com
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10412
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20932 - SOM-PEDS Kempe-GenOps
Posting Date: Aug 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Terri Lewis
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00736133