Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Laboratory, Department of Medicine at the University of Colorado School of Medicine is seeking a full time Professional Research Assistant. The main emphasis of this position will be performing bench laboratory work for research projects primarily funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Veterans Administration (VA). Research projects are focused on studies of adipocyte (fat cell) development in basic, mouse and human models. Day to day job duties will vary with the ongoing research projects in the lab.
Job duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Keep laboratory environmental health and safety and other regulatory/certification requirements up to date (e.g., radiation authorization, online chemical inventory)
- Assist with animal protocol submissions, renewals, and amendments
- Order all lab supplies, receive shipments, and maintain records of supplies and lab expenses
- Perform laboratory maintenance, organization and cleaning
- Literature searching for new protocols and assay options
- Pipetting and making buffers and solutions
- Rodent handling - including tissue dissection and blood sampling
- Mammalian cell culture - including isolation and culture of mouse and human primary cells and cell transfection
- Sample preparation and data analysis for flow cytometry
- Perform plate and cell based assays
- RNA/DNA isolation and quantification
- Perform light and fluorescent microscopy
- Assist with writing manuscripts and grants
- Work collaboratively with the PI, other lab members (PRAs, postdocs, students) and other Division staff to complete job related tasks
- Detail oriented:
- able to keep detailed experiment/laboratory notebook
- able keep accurate purchasing records
- organize and keep laboratory equipment and supply records
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision - self directed, self starter
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Must have good problem solving skills
- Must have good communication skills
- Must be patient and persistent
- Must have good sterile technique for working in cell culture
- Must be willing and able to acquire new skills as needed
- Must be comfortable handling small animals and working with both animal and human blood and tissue samples.
- Must have experience working with Microsoft word, excel, and power point including summarizing and graphing data.
- Other computer software experience preferred, but not required: ImageJ and GraphPad Prism
- Experience working in a laboratory.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science required
- At least 2 years of laboratory work experience required or Master degree
- Experience with obtaining and processing human and/or animal blood and tissue samples
- Experience with mammalian cell culture
- Experience with sample preparation for flow cytometry
- Experience in laboratory management
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10838
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20865 - SOM-MED-CVP
Posting Date: Aug 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Andy Poczobutt
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00616552