Research Instructor - Biostatistician
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Emergency Medicine
Research Instructor - Biostatistician
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The Department of Pediatrics Section of Emergency Medicine has an opening for a part-time, Research Instructor position. The incumbent will provide biostatistical analysis and consulting for Pediatric Emergency Medicine researchers at the University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Campus. The analyst will collaborate with investigators on all biostatistical aspects of the research process, including the design and development of new studies, structuring data collection systems, data reduction and analysis, and preparation of abstracts, talks, and manuscripts.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Consult with pediatric emergency medicine physicians regarding research design, feasibility, implementation, data collection, database design, data analysis, and manuscript preparation
- Meet with investigators to plan for new clinical investigations, including data collection and future analysis
- Perform biostatistical analysis and data cleaning for retrospective studies, observational studies, large administrative databases, and clinical trials
- Assist investigators with interpretation of raw data produced by statistical software
- Ensure that research projects in the Section are compliant with Hospital, COMIRB and University standards
- Attend monthly Section of Emergency Medicine research conferences
- Meet with Director of Research bi-monthly and Section research team on monthly basis
- Ensure data quality through periodic audits and re-training of professional research assistants (PRAs), faculty, and clinical staff on protocols and data collection, as needed.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
- MS in Biostatistics/Statistics, Masters of Public Health (MPH), or MS in Epidemiology with Biostatistical emphasis and/or Epidemiology concentration or similar
- Experience with study design and analysistechniques, including: univariate and multivariate analyses, particularly regression analyses (linear, logistic, multinomial, Poisson).
- Experience with data management, production of ongoing data reporting and graphics/table creation
- Proficiency in a statistical software package, such as SAS, SPSS, or STATA
- The ability to simultaneously work with faculty and investigators on a wide-range of projects will be required.
- Substantial experience using other programs for data extraction, such as Oracle and Crystal.
- Experience working with large datasets, and knowledge of entity relationship diagrams and relational databases.
- Excellent written and oral communication
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge of statistical software, such as STATA, SAS, or SPSS.
- Strong knowledge of database management, data verification techniques, and ability to perform quality checks on datasets
- Knowledge of research design and applied biostatistics.
- Current certification of COMIRB and HIPAA requirements for researchers
- Must have strong personal direction and motivation: able to perform duties autonomously as well as under direct supervision
- Database creation and analysis, familiarity with relational data such as with Microsoft Access
- In addition to one of the statistical software packages listed above under "Minimum Qualifications", familiarity with NCSS PASS (sample size calculations), Epic electronic health record
- Minimum 2 years research or academic clinical experience
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is set at $35,750 for a .5FTE position. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10654
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20989 - SOM-PEDS Emergency-GenOps
Posting Date: Aug 25, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Mimi Munroe
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00050306