Building Environmental Services Technician - Contributing
Position Number Housekeeping Pool
Position Classification Title Building & Environmental Tech
Functional Title Building Environmental Services Technician - Contributing
Position Type Staff
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a public, coeducational, doctoral-granting, residential university chartered in 1891. It is one of the three original institutions of The University North Carolina System.
The Department of Facilities Operations and The Office of Housing and Residence Life are seeking qualified individuals for available temporary or permanent entry-level Building Environmental Services Technician positions.
Duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
This position will be responsible for carrying out housekeeping duties for the University which includes:
- Sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming floor surfaces;
- Maintaining restrooms in a sanitary state;
- Replenishing toilet paper and soap products;
- Emptying trash receptacles;
- Understanding appropriate action to correct hazards.
- Attends training and receives proper information pertaining to the use of PPE, equipment, safety and/or emergency procedures, and accident reporting.
- Reports accidents appropriately or in a timely manner.
- Reads MSDS and original labels before applying or mixing chemicals.
- Insures chemicals are labeled and environmentally safe are receiving close supervision.
- Reads safety manual prior to entering areas that should be avoided.
- Reads appropriate owner's manual as it relates to equipment and is aware of proper safe operation and standards.
- Insures equipment is properly maintained.
- Contacts appropriate personnel (supervisor and lead person) when needed.
- Reports injuries, illnesses or unsafe acts or conditions.
- Performing related duties as required.
Applicants who apply to this pool will be considered when an entry level (Contributing) Building Environmental Services Technician position becomes available in Facilities or The Office of Housing and Residence Life.
Facilities Operations and The Office of Housing and Residence Life may reference this applicant pool to fill temporary positions as well.
The Department of Facilities Operations is a service organization comprised of skilled professionals dedicated to the continuous maintenance, operation, and improvement of the University Facilities and Grounds in order to provide a safe, clean and well functioning environment for all members of the University Community.
Housing and Residence Life provides safe, inclusive, and secure residential communities where a diverse, innovative and responsive team of professionals encourages students to pursue academic excellence, personal growth, civic leadership and responsibility.
Efficient, effective and accessible programs and services are provided by competently trained and reliable departmental teams in affordable, clean, comfortable, sustainable and sound facilities equipped with current technologies
Some knowledge of cleaning procedures, ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work; an equivalent combination of training and experience. Special certification may be required for some of these positions.
Special note: this is a generalized representation of positions in this class and is not intended to identify essential functions per ADA. Examples of competencies are typical of the majority of positions, but may not be applicable to all functions.
- At least six (6) months of directly related experience.
- Previous working experience at a higher learning institution.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, than management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget and market considerations.
Special Instructions to Applicants
IMPORTANT NOTICE TO APPLICANTS
This posting will remain active for one quarter (roughly ninety (90) days). After the quarterly cycle, this posting will close and the application will be cancelled. You may then re-apply to the new active posting. The Close Date listed indicates when this quarterly posting will close.
You must complete and submit an electronic application for employment to be considered. The application must be completed in full detail for your qualifications to be considered.
Your application to the position will not be complete until you receive an online confirmation number at the end of the process of applying for a position.
Recruitment Range $22,946 - $24,167
Org #-Department Human Resources - 58401
Work Hours of Position WORK HOURS AND SHIFTS VARY
Job Family Building Environmental Services
Competency Level Contributing
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Knowledge - Technical (Contributing)
Reads work schedules and diagrams of buildings to arrive at the assigned work area on a timely basis. Recognizes and follows dispenser directions to properly mix cleaning chemicals. Performs basic cleaning such as sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, dusting, disinfecting, vacuuming, etc., to keep working areas in a clean and orderly condition. Fills dispensers, such as tissue and soap dispensers, with the proper product and amount.
Customer Service (Contributing)
Listens and responds to customer needs promptly and respectfully
Safety and Health Compliance (Contributing)
Recognizes and follows dispenser directions to properly mix cleaning chemicals.
Open Date 08/01/2017
Close Date 10/31/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment Temporary Part-Time
Time limited duration of appointment
Depending on the department’s needs, positions may be Temporary, Time-Limited or Permanent.
Salary Grade Equivalency 50
Number of Months per Year 12
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have at least six (6) months of previous Housekeeping experience?
- * Do you have some knowledge of cleaning procedures and the ability to follow instructions and to perform medium to heavy physical work?
- * Are you willing to accept a position that is less than full-time?
- * Have you graduated from high school or received a GED?
- * Do you have experience in higher education?
- * Which shift do you prefer?
- Doesn't matter, will accept any shift available
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu