Requisition Number STA - 201000000522
Job Title Director, Budgets
The University of North Texas at Dallas invites applications for the position of Director, Budgets.
The University - the first four-year public institution of higher education in the city - seeks an individual who will help shape the character of a 21st century, teaching-focused university. Candidates should be able to express enthusiastic support for the mission of the university to transform the lives of students, families and communities by providing high-quality, student-focused education in preparation for tomorrow's careers, and its vision to create the place of choice where students are inspired to learn, faculty are inspired to teach and the community is inspired to support. For more information about the university, go to: http://untdallas.edu/
This position will direct and manage the budgeting function for UNT Dallas. The position is responsible for the preparation of the UNT Dallas consolidated Operating Budget and preparing and monitoring the UNT Dallas operation budget. The director will work in coordination with other administrative offices to develop budgetary processes for the allocation of resources to meet strategic goals. Work is performed with great independence and discretion under the supervision of the Assistant Vice President for Finance and Administration. The position may supervise full time and part time employees.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Serves as Subject matter expert in HR/Payroll and Finance components of Enterprise Information Systems (PeopleSoft).
- Conduct research and analysis on special projects as assigned.
- Manage intra-system agreements and associated billing with UNT System and other UNT System Components.
- Prepare routine and ad hoc reports for UNT Dallas Administrators and the UNT System Board of Regents.
- Prepare the UNT Dallas annual operating budget; provide estimated revenues and available funds for all funding sources.
- Prepare the UNT Dallas quarterly management reports for the UNT System Board of Regents.
- Assist the Assistant Vice President for Finance & Administration with the UNT Dallas Budget Advisory Council (UBAC).
- Support management in forecasting expenditures.
- Build a service-focused relationship with the executive team at UNT Dallas.
- Prepare the Legislative Appropriation Request for UNT Dallas.
- Establish processes and reports to support budget management and budget controls.
- Coordinate with Human Resources on all position control and budget review for personnel action items.
- Supervise the verification of appropriate funding for any increases to staff positions.
- Implement budget controls and supervise maintenance of approved adjustments.
- Approve accuracy and validity of budget authorization forms.
- Analyze revenue and expense accounts and report variances.
- Monitor account balances.
- Supervise the work of the budget analyst.
- Design and prepare special reports as requested by UNT Dallas Administrators.
- Recommend and implement revisions in processes to meet UNT Dallas objectives.
- Assist management with the expense certification process, as required.
- Work with management to develop and report on performance measures.
- Manage the planning and reporting of capital expenditures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Maintain effective and working relationship with others at all times.
- Communicate effectively, appropriately, and accurately in writing and verbally.
- Manage and complete multiple tasks simultaneously in a timely, efficient, and effective manner.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and six years of closely related professional experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Extensive knowledge of functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
*Extensive knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
- Extensive knowledge of PeopleSoft, COGNOS and/or similar ERP, reporting and/or data warehousing software.
- Ability to plan and conceptualize and make sound business decisions.
- Must exercise considerable independent and professional judgment in matters of significance.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Strong planning and project management skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work independently.
- Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
- Master Degree in Accounting or Finance or MBA and seven years of experience in budgeting or finance and accounting.
- Experience working with The Higher Education Coordinating Board and the State Comptroller.
- Knowledge of the State of Texas budget law and practices for higher education.
Physical requirements necessary to perform essential job functions
Work is primarily sedentary. Sits comfortably to do the work; however, there may be some walking, standing, bending, or lifting items weighing up to 15 pounds.
Driving University Vehicle? No
Monday - Friday
Substitution of Experience/Education No
Ending Date (if temporary)
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume with their online application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Texas Workforce Commission
- HigherEd Jobs
- Inside Higher Ed
- Linked In
- Professional Diversity Network
- Company Website
- Job Fair
- Current Employee
- Other (Specify Below)
- Please specify source from above
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have a Bachelor's degree (or higher) from a regionally accredited college or university?
- * Do you have six years of experience in related professional field?
- Cover Letter
- Veteran Preference (DD-214)