Grounds Maintenance Worker, Seasonal
When Bay Path opened its doors to students in downtown Springfield, MA in 1897, it had a very clear goal: to provide a practical, affordable, and career-oriented education to meet the needs of companies, organizations, and communities. From the beginning, Bay Path prided itself on being entrepreneurial, constantly pushing the boundaries of the academic experience to fit the student. To start them on the road of success. We still do.
Today, that spirit and philosophy is more important than ever in higher education. At Bay Path, it's not just the number and breadth of undergraduate and graduate programs that defines us-and we have many-but it is our ability to connect the classroom to learning to leadership to experience to career that is at the core of what we do best. We know the work that needs to be done.
Bay Path University, an independent and not-for-profit institution, was named Among Fastest Growing Baccalaureate Colleges by the Chronicle of Higher Education Almanac, and is a member of the Women's College Coalition. With a main campus in Longmeadow, MA and four satellite locations, (East Longmeadow, Sturbridge, Concord, Springfield), Bay Path offers undergraduate, graduate (for women and men) degrees, and professional certificates.
We're committed to preparing our students to navigate a constantly changing world. Whether it is one of our innovative academic programs, groundbreaking online learning platform, or through our Women as Empowered Learners and Leaders initiative, we educate our students in ways that will help them to grow, learn to adapt, and always to flourish. Be part of the change.
We invite you to visit our website at www.baypath.edu where you can learn more about Bay Path University.
- Position Code: GRSWI
- Job Type: Part Time, Seasonal
- Hours: Up to 24 hours per week
- Schedule: Varied, 33 weeks per year
- Position Location: Longmeadow
The part-time, seasonal, Grounds Maintenance Worker will perform routine and semi-skilled grounds and building maintenance assignments to all University properties, including grounds and buildings to help maintain established University standards. This position will primarily be assigned to grounds maintenance, but will also be assigned to building maintenance, including custodial, as needed and during the winter. Will operate and maintain related equipment. Must be flexible and a team player.
- Performs grounds keeping and landscaping to maintain all University property.
- Lawn maintenance; mowing, fertilization, irrigation, seeding, aeration, and thatching.
- Prepares areas for planting trees, bushes, and flowers.
- Performs landscape and lawn installations including but not limited to seeding, over-seeding and sod work.
- Removes clippings, leaves, and debris from University grounds or property.
- Patches/repairs asphalt in roads, sidewalks and parking areas.
- Removes snow and ice from parking lots, walkways, sidewalks, and steps in a timely manner.
- Uses power tools and operates equipment such as dump truck, pick up truck, plow truck, tractor, snow blower, power sprayer, leaf blower, aerator, lawn mower, and other heavy equipment.
- Uses hand tools, including but not limited to, such as shovel, rake, hose, saw, hammer and many other tools.
- Performs vehicle maintenance, cleaning, and minor repair on University owned and leased vehicles and grounds equipment.
- Assist in the coordination of departmental work as needed.
- Check personal mailbox, department bulletin boards and white boards at least once a day.
- Complete time card daily.
- Responsible for timely completion of all work orders and requisitions. Proper processing and return of all completed work orders and requisitions.
- Carry communication radio at all times. (if applicable)
- Maintain a clean work area and inventory shop supplies and equipment.
- Assist in completing grounds related assignments for special events, meetings and University functions.
- Perform maintenance work and custodial work as needed.
- Assist on special construction projects.
- Snow and ice removal as needed.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Equivalent to High School education with vocational trade education and previous experience.
- Commercial landscape and irrigation experience preferred but not required.
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships and deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to learn and perform all essential job functions accurately and safely with minimal direct supervision, within (90) days from date employee begins work.
- Valid driver's license.
- Must successfully pass the online safe Driving Course and driving record check at time of hire and annually thereafter.
- Must successfully pass safe driving course within 30-days of employment.
- Failure to successfully complete the course within the 30-day period is grounds for immediate termination.
- Submit to and pass criminal offender records check (C.O.R.I.) and sexual offender records check (S.O.R.I.).
- Submit to and pass pre-employment drug screening and physical duties test.
- Ability to adhere to University policies and procedures.
- Ability to handle confidential information with discretion.
- Should be committed to a culture of diversity, respect and inclusion.
- General knowledge of the University's mission, purpose, and goals and the role this position plays in achieving those goals.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Bay Path University is a diverse community devoted to proactively nurturing a campus-wide culture that promotes and ensures respect, inclusion and safety for all members regardless of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, sexual orientation and gender identity, socio-economic background, or physical ability. We are one University that opens our hearts and minds to conversations, to learning and to creating a community that is welcoming of all. Regardless of position, it is expected that each employee will embrace this commitment and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward and acceptance of all members of our community.
Applicants for this position should attach a cover letter resume / curriculum vitae, the contact information for four (4) professional, work related references and any other relevant information pertaining to this position and your candidacy. Please apply online. Faxes and emails will not be accepted.
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Bay Path University is committed to fostering diversity in its student body, faculty, and staff.