A. Harry Moore School Nurse
A. Harry Moore School Nurse Job Summary
The school nurse provides services under the direction of A. Harry Moore School administrators.
The duties of the school nurse shall include, but not be limited to:
- Provision of appropriate and mandated medical treatment and services to students including:
- First Aide and Emergency Treatment
- Gastronomy feedings and replacement of G-tubes
- Wound care
- Evaluation and care of students when ill
- Administration of medication
- Monitoring students with diabetes, seizures and other health impairments
- Respiratory treatments (including asthma treatment)
- Appropriate response to DNR orders
- Maintenance of appropriate student health records in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A: 40-4 and N.J.A.C. 6A:16-2.2.
- Coordination of health screenings in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6A: 16-2.2 including:
- Eye examinations
- Heights and weights
- TB testing
- Scoliosis checks
- Physical exams
- Management of visiting health services clinics and acting as a liaison with health services and insurance including:
- Commission of the Blind
- Participation in:
- Intake/admissions processes to review available health and medical information and making individual and program recommendations
- Transdisciplinary teams to assure appropriate student interventions by reviewing and summarizing health and medical information in accordance with N.J.A.C. 6A:14-3.4(h)
- Provision of services to AHM personnel including:
- Medical monitoring and emergency health services including contacting appropriate authorities when employee is injured at work
- Administration of Mantoux test
- Orientation and training to assure proper and safe health interventions
- Instructing personnel on communicable diseases and other health concerns in accordance with N.J.S.A. 18A:40-3
- Establish and maintaining cooperative working relationship with A. Harry Moore personnel, students, districts, NJCU staff and students, private duty nurses, and University affiliations by:
- Contacting parents, physicians and agencies when necessary
- Notifying faculty and staff of relevant medical information
- Serving on ad hoc or standing committees
- Oversee the health services activities of school staff to whom the school nurse has delegated a related health services task
- Develop in conjunction with school administration and in compliance with N.J.A.C. and N.J.S.A. policies for:
- Substance abuse programs
- Medication administration
- Medical and health processes and record keeping
- Assessing and recommending to school administration the exclusion of students who show evidence of communicable disease, pursuant to N.J.S.A. 18A: 40-7 and 8, or who have not submitted acceptable evidence of immunization, pursuant to N.J.A.C. 8:57-4
- Adhering to all New Jersey City University and A. Harry Moore School employment policies.
B.S. degree from an accredited College or University, New Jersey Registered Professional Nurse license and New Jersey School Nurse certification are required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to acquire considerable knowledge of the school’s purpose, goals and objectives including an in-depth understanding of the medically fragile and developmentally disabled pediatric population.
Ability to develop relationships and to communicate clearly with a diverse audience including students, parents, therapists, educators and paraprofessionals.
Ability to acquire wide knowledge of the laws and regulations which impact on the medical and therapeutic units of the A. Harry Moore School.
Ability to acquire basic knowledge of the University’s philosophy, goals and organization.
Ability to establish cooperative working relationships and coordinate effectively with other offices that impact on or relate with the work of the A. Harry Moore health services.
Ability to prepare clear reports and studies that include findings and recommendations.
CUT-OFF DATE FOR FILING APPLICATIONS: OPEN UNTIL FILLED