RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Molecular Genetics and Microbiology
100% grant funded Research Technician II needed for assisting with BSL 2 research on Mycobacterium tuberculosis, with a current focus on modulation of host cell environment by Mycobacterial PE/PPE proteins including using animal models. Successful candidate must have at least one year of experience in general research laboratory studies (basic microbiological and molecular biological techniques), strong organizational and prioritization skills, with excellent attention to detail and accuracy. Preferred degrees include biology, microbiology, immunology, cell biology, or other similar fields.
Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting laboratory tests, experiments and determinations in support of the lab's research operations.
- Perform a variety of complex technical duties involved in conducting physical, chemical, biological and other research laboratory tests, experiments and determinations to obtain data for research purposes; compile, analyze, document and draw tentative conclusions from experimental results.
- Confer with principal investigator to review work assignments and develop plans for research experiments; make minor modifications to existing laboratory procedures and techniques to meet the needs of the particular equipment as required. Review laboratory methods manual, scientific journals, abstracts and other literature for information applicable to research experiments.
- Determine and set up instruments, material and apparatus and operate laboratory equipment required for specific tests.
- Manage, coordinate and perform technical animal procedures; maintain detailed and accurate records and collect and process samples from animals to obtain data for research purposes. Obtain, prepare, mount and stain tissue, blood and other substances for microscopic examination.
- Prepare culture media, chemicals, reagents and solutions.
- Maintain sufficient inventory of material, supplies and equipment for performance of duties; clean and maintain laboratory equipment.
- Review work of lower level laboratory personnel within designated areas and assist in training new personnel when applicable.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this classification. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required of personnel so classified.
951 RESEARCH TECHNICIAN II
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology or otherscience related scientific field.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.