Accounts Receivable Manager
Posting Date August 24, 2017
Position Title Accounts Receivable Manager
Vacancy # V-1369
Department Controller's Office
Division Treasury And Finance
The Accounts Receivable (AR) Manager is the functional expert for non-student accounts receivable and is responsible for ensuring the timely and accurate processing of billing invoices generated by University departments, auxiliaries, and the Controller's office.
Business Requirements Discovery
This position assists the Director of General Accounting in identifying University departments that are processing offline invoices and determining their billing solution, such as TouchNet's Marketplace or E-commerce modules or PeopleSoft.
• Become functionally knowledgeable in PeopleSoft and 3rd party solutions to understand the pros and cons of each tool in order to make sound recommendations.
• Actively participate in meetings with department managers and stakeholders to gain an understanding of their business requirement and to document workflows.
• In collaboration with the Director recommend a solution which meets the department's needs.
New Business Setup
When a solution is agreed upon the AR Manager is responsible for its implementation
• Work with the solution's technical analyst to ensure that the department's store or payment gateway is created and that the TIDs are tied to the department's PeopleSoft chartfield values.
• Collaborate with the Treasury department to obtain merchant IDs and ensure that they are linked to the proper bank account.
• Assist the department manager in completing the PeopleSoft Chartfield Request Form and the Security Form, if needed, to establish the new values for this business.
• Establish the appropriate billing plans and codes
• Ensure that Banner detail codes are created for the new business and properly mapped to the correct PeopleSoft chart string.
• Participate in New Business system testing.
The AR Manager is responsible for ensuring that all 3rd party billing and payment systems are transmitting complete and accurate data.
• Reconcile third party systems integrations with PeopleSoft AR and revenue accounts weekly.
• Each morning monitoring the nightly PeopleSoft AR subsystem batch processes, such as Revenue Recognition and Billing.
• Collaborate with the staff accountants, business analysts, and IT to resolve incomplete processes.
• Monthly reconcile the PeopleSoft AR subsystem to the General Ledger to ensure all revenue has been recognized and bills generated for the period.
• Develop basic Cognos report writing competencies to support the Banner AR to bank and/or PeopleSoft Finance reconciliation requirements, as well as ad hoc requests
The AR manager facilitates the timely and accurate processing of University billings by providing assistance and training to department managers and their staff and ensures that payments are appropriately applies to open invoices and customer accounts.
• Assists in applying cash payments to ensure they are accurately applied to open receivables
• Effectuates healthcare related billings, cash handling, and collections through 3rd party solutions.
• Processes credit memos and other adjustments as needed
• Processes and distributes customer statements on a predetermined schedule
• Maintains the Customer database in the AR/billing module as necessary
• Recommends policy and procedural improvements
• Assists the Director of General Accounting in resolving helpdesk tickets for Accounts Receivable and Billing issues
• Trains department staff in the creation of customers and bill plans.
• Assists in end user training
• Responds to and resolves billing and collection issues and concerns
• Collaborates with Department Managers on past due invoices and collection activities.
• Escalates unresolved issues to the Director as appropriate
• Assists in the implementation and testing of system enhancements and upgrades.
• Recommends system configuration changes and process improvements.
• Provides management with supporting documentation and aging reports upon request
• Reviews and validates receivable balances and recommends amounts to be reserved against or written off.
• Provides excellent customer service
• Performing other duties as assigned
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job as identified, and shall not be considered as a detailed description of all work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Bachelor degree from an accredited University or college with a major in accounting.
- 4+ years of experience in accounts receivable or customer relations
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience
- High precision in work
- Experience with PeopleSoft's Accounts Receivable and Billing modules is preferred, but similar ERP system experience is acceptable
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Proficient in Excel
- Professional demeanor
- Knowledgeable in accounting and finance
- Friendly and courteous
- Relationship building skills
- Troubleshooting skills
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Organizational Marketing Statement:
Building on a distinguished 105-year history, Montclair State University is proud to be a leading institution of higher education in New Jersey. The university's six colleges and schools serve more than 19,000 undergraduate and graduate students in 300 majors, minors, concentrations and certificate programs. Situated on a beautiful, 250-acre suburban campus just 14 miles from New York City, Montclair State combines the instructional and research resources of a large public university in a dynamic, sophisticated, and diverse academic environment.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION