Academic Technologist/Instructional Designer
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Information Technology / CU Online (Denver Campus)
Academic Technologist / Instructional Designer
Position #727440 - Requisition #10855
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Information Technology (OIT) has an opening for TWO full-time University Staff (unclassified) Academic Services Senior Professional positions.
These full-time, University Staff (non-classified) positions strategically partner with schools, colleges, and faculty leaders to rapidly and creatively implement new technologies, provide expertise in instructional design for online academic courses and programs, and deploy and manage a variety of emerging educational innovations as part of a collaborative team of academic learning and technology professionals.
CU Online is an innovative team dedicated to enhancing teaching and learning at the University of Colorado Denver and Anschutz Medical Campus. As a department of the Office of Information Technology, CU Online provides critical academic technologies and services to the university.
The Office of Information Technology works to advance the University mission by providing innovative technology solutions and services to the CU Denver | Anschutz Medical Campuses, their constituents, and their partners.
Through our six core values, Service, Professionalism, Leadership, Innovation, Community, and Excellence (SPLICE), we make a difference.
Click here to find out more about the Office of Information Technology
Examples of Work Performed:
As an expert in using technologies effectively for teaching and learning, the Academic Services Senior Professional provides guidance to schools, colleges, and faculty in the design, project management, and assessment of emerging educational innovations. Examples of work performed include:
- Build and maintain relationships within the academic community and identify learning technology projects that advance the teaching mission.Lead academic technology pilots, initiatives, and programs, while partnering with key faculty and leaders.
- Facilitate the effective transition of successful projects into campus and OIT support infrastructure, including design of sustainable workflows and documentation.
- Participate in development of new services and testing of new technologies.
- Assess technical needs of the learning management system, including project management on system upgrades and user creation and management.
- Provide tier two user support for academic systems including, but not limited to training faculty, staff, and students; resolving/escalating technical problems; and creating documentation and support resources.
- Consult with faculty on effective online pedagogies while inspiring self-sufficiency and enthusiasm for academic technology.
- Work in collaboration with university faculty to align content to learning outcomes, create instructionally sound and engaging learning opportunities, and develop quality assessment tools.
- Provide instructional design consultation to individuals, departments, or schools through course and program designs, redesigns, and evaluations.
- Support the online faculty development curriculum.
- Serve as a liaison between CU Online and key campus faculty and leaders on current and future academic technology trends.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position has been established as $50,000 to $60,000 and is commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor's degree in education, educational technology, instructional design, academic technology, or related field of study.
- 2-3 years of experience presenting training seminars, and/or creating multimedia job aids and tutorials and/or building end user documentation or providing academic or instructional technology user support.
- Experience teaching or designing academic online courses.
- Experience collaborating with university faculty in instructional design and/or technology-related projects.
- Experience in the evaluation and deployment of academic technologies.
- Experience using/supporting a wide variety of academic technologies.
- Experience with project planning and creative problem solving.
- Experience using, supporting, and managing an academic Learning Management System (LMS) such as Canvas.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to independently manage large scale projects.
- Exhibit and communicate knowledge and application of effective pedagogy and use of academic technologies.
- Ability to act as a consultant to faculty and leadership on the use of academic technologies in teaching, research, and creative works.
- Collegial team member with strong interpersonal skills and a service orientated work attitude.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Proven ability to present training seminars, create end user documentation.
- Ability to work independently and unsupervised.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by September 11, 2017. Those who do not apply by this date may or may not be considered.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60131 - ADM-AVCOIT Administration
Posting Date: Sep 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: OIT Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: ucd-oit.HumanResources@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00727440