Assistant Professor of English
Assistant Professor of English - California Northstate University College of Health Sciences (CHS), Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Job Title: Assistant Professor of English
Job Classification: Full-time, 12 Month, Exempt ($70,000.00/yr)
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Review of Applications: Reviewed upon receipt; for best consideration, apply before October 1st, 2017
Anticipated Start Date: January 2nd, 2018
Supervisor: Faculty in the Department of Humanities and Social Science report directly to the Department Head (or Acting Department Head) of Humanities and Social Science or the Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
Description of California Northstate University College of Health Sciences: The WASC-approved undergraduate CNU College of Health Science (CNUCHS) is located at 2910 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. CNUCHS offers a traditional Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree with a concentration in human biology, in addition to accelerated undergraduate and post-baccalaureate programs for pre-medical and pre-pharmacy students. The CNUCHS curriculum is designed to provide excellent academic preparation for careers in the biomedical professions. California Northstate University (CNU) is a private university with a main campus located in Elk Grove, California, approximately 15 miles south of Sacramento. CNU is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Elk Grove facility currently houses the College of Pharmacy and the LCME-accredited College of Medicine.
Courses/Projects of Primary Teaching Responsibility:
- English Composition I & II with supervised practice sections
- Professional Communication
- Writing Center
- Literature Elective
- Contributes to Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan courses and prepare syllabi for approval by the Curriculum Committee
- Maintain good working relationships with the Dean, Sr. Assoc. Dean of Academic Affairs, Department Head, administrative staff, and colleagues in the College of Health Sciences
- Make effective use of appropriate technology, learning software, and the learning management system in course delivery
- Develop an effective teaching style informed by best practices in education literature
- Create and oversee the English placement exam and first-year placement in English
- Teach a Summer Bridge course in English to assist entering students in college readiness
- Oversee the college writing and communication center
- Perform data collection to monitor program and general education learning outcomes—as needed to fulfill assessment requirements—and to track student success
- Communicate effectively with students regarding course content, assignments, and exams
- Keep regular office hours for students; provide tutoring assistance as needed; and, perform student advising duties
- Keep active in academic field of specialization through professional development, scholarly research, publishing, and professional activities
- Serve on college and university committees and engage in university and community service including development of outreach activities
- Mentor and supervise undergraduate students in scholarly research projects
- Participate in college and university programs to recruit and retain students
Minimum Qualifications:Applicant should hold a doctorate degree in English, Communication, or Literature, with college teaching experience preferred. A demonstrated ability to develop innovative teaching strategies and experience working with diverse groups are also preferred.
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter that addresses qualifications, experience and career goals
- Curriculum vitae
- Official transcripts of all college work (unofficial copies accepted for application review; official copies required at time of hire)
- Statement of teaching and scholarly interests
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) references who can be contacted by the Search Committee and who can speak to a broad range of candidate’s professional qualifications
Please send application materials to the HR Department by email or mail to: California Northstate University, 9700 West Taron Drive, Elk Grove, CA 95757.
For department specific inquiries, please contact us by Mai Choua.Vang telephone: (916) 686-7674.
Please note that although the main campus for California Northstate University is located in Elk Grove, CA, this position is located at California Northstate University, College of Health Sciences, in Rancho Cordova, CA.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.