Assistant Professor of Physics/Math
Assistant Professor of Physics and Math - California Northstate University College of Health Sciences (CHS), Rancho Cordova, California, USA
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Physics and Math
Job Classification: Full-time, 12 Month, Exempt ($70,000.00/yr)
Rank and Salary: Based on educational credentials and previous academic experience
Closing Date: Position open until filled
Review of Applications: Reviewed upon receipt; for best consideration apply before October 1st, 2017
Anticipated Start Date: January 2nd, 2018
Supervisor: Faculty in the Department of Science and Mathematics report directly to the Department Head (or Acting Department Head) of Science and Math or the Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs
Description of California Northstate University College of Health Sciences: The WASC-approved undergraduate CNU College of Health Science (CNUCHS) is located at 2910 Prospect Park Drive, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670. CNUCHS offers a traditional Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree with a concentration in human biology, in addition to accelerated undergraduate and post-baccalaureate programs for pre-medical and pre-pharmacy students. The CNUCHS curriculum is designed to provide excellent academic preparation for careers in the biomedical professions. California Northstate University (CNU) is a private university with main campus located in Elk Grove, California, approximately 15 miles south of Sacramento. CNU is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). The Elk Grove facility currently houses the College of Pharmacy and the LCME-accredited College of Medicine.
Courses of Primary Teaching Responsibility:
- Physics I and II with Lab
- Pre-Calculus and Differential and Integral Calculus AND/OR Applied Statistics
- Course-based Undergraduate Research Experiences
- Ability to teach courses in other science disciplines is favorable
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan courses and prepare syllabi for approval by the Curriculum Committee
- Maintain good working relationships with the Dean, Sr. Assoc. Dean of Academic Affairs, Department Head, administrative staff, and colleagues in the College of Health Sciences
- Make effective use of appropriate technology, learning software, and the learning management system in course delivery
- Develop an effective teaching style informed by best practices in education literature
- Perform data collection to monitor program and general education learning outcomes as needed to fulfill assessment requirements and to track student success
- Create and oversee the Math placement exam and determine first-year placement in Math
- Contribute to the development of the Math and Science Student Success Center
- Communicate effectively with students regarding course content, assignments, and exams
- Keep regular office hours for students; provide tutoring assistance as needed; and, perform student advising duties
- Keep active in academic field of specialization through professional development, scholarly research, publishing, and professional activities
- Serve on college and university committees and engage in university and community service including development of outreach activities
- Mentor and supervise undergraduate students in scholarly research projects
- Participate in college and university programs to recruit and retain students
Minimum Qualifications:A doctorate degree preferably in Physics, Biophysics, or Mathematics with college teaching experience in physics and/or math. Demonstrated ability to develop innovative teaching strategies, and experience working with diverse groups is also preferred.
Applicants should submit:
- Cover letter that addresses qualifications, experience and career goals
- Curriculum vitae
- Official transcripts of all college work (unofficial copies accepted for application review; official copies required at time of hire)
- Statement of teaching and scholarly interests
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three (3) references who can be contacted by the Search Committee and who can speak to a broad range of candidate’s professional qualifications.
Please send application materials to the HR Department by email, or California Northstate University, 9700 West Taron Drive, Elk Grove, CA 95757.
For department specific inquiries, please contact Mai Choua Vang telephone: (916) 686-7674.
Please note that while the main campus for California Northstate University is located in Elk Grove, CA, this position is located at California Northstate University, College of Health Sciences, in Rancho Cordova, CA.
California Northstate University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.