Postdoctoral Research Associate
The University of Denver (DU) is a medium-size (12,000 students) private university located in a thriving metropolis at the base of the Rocky Mountains. The Department of Physics and Astronomy employs diverse and dynamic full-time faculty of 12, including 4 women. We provide an attentive, hands-on research and learning environment for students up to the PhD level. Our student population comprises about 50 undergraduates and 20-25 graduate students. The program is recognized by the APS among US PhD-granting departments for our high percentage (50%) of female graduates: placing second nationally at the undergraduate level and third at the graduate level (APS data for the period 2011-2013). More information about the department can be found at http://www.physics.du.edu.
The Department of Physics invites application for a Postdoctoral Research Associate position beginning September 1, 2017 with a minimum of 6 months appointment with potential position renewal subject to performance evaluation and availability of funding. The position is available in the Zink Research Laboratory in the Department of Physics & Astronomy for a Postdoctoral Research Associate. The successful candidate will explore heat, charge, and spin transport in nanostructures and novel materials for applications in energy harvesting and future information technologies using a range of techniques including novel micro- and nanomachined thermal isolation platforms. Activities will encompass design, fabrication, and measurements of these transport effects, in addition to materials growth (via UHV evaporation or similar techniques) and supporting materials characterization to potentially include synchrotron x-ray investigations of magnetic order and dynamic magnetization (via X-ray absorption spectroscopy, XMCD, etc). Responsible for assigned lab duties, supervising undergraduate and graduate students, and participating in external collaborations with national laboratories and academic institutions. Detailed goals are specified in funded research proposals and agreements.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong professional interpersonal skills.
- Excellent quantitative and experimental skills.
- Ability to design and follow safe experimental protocols in accordance with local and national regulations.
- Interest and demonstrated ability in preparing and publishing results in scientific journals.
- Ph.D. in Physics, Materials Science or related discipline.
- 5 years of experiential work in a laboratory which may include experience working in a laboratory during graduate school.
- Committed to or have experience working with diverse student and community populations.
- Experience with thin film materials growth, vacuum technology including ultra-high vacuum chambers and cryogenic measurement techniques.
- Experience with synchrotron measurements (specifically X-ray magnetic circular dichroism) and micro- or nanofabrication techniques.
- Experience with the design of data acquisition hardware and software (LabView and/or MatLab), facility with data analysis software (Origin and Igor Pro) and general computer programming skills (C, C++, etc.).
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with occasional weekends depending on lab duties.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Wednesday, August 30, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. If you have questions regarding this position please contact Professor Barry L. Zink at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter including a list of publications
- Names and contact information of three references
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.