Assistant Director of Admissions
Description: Reporting to the Director of Admissions, the Assistant Director will be involved in all aspects of the general admission process: managing a recruitment territory, travel, organizing special events, coordinating with student volunteers, interviewing prospective students, reviewing applications, and other duties as assigned.
The position requires strong interpersonal and communication skills, the ability to relate to a broad range of constituents (students, parents, alumni, high school counselors, etc.), an appreciation for and sensitivity to a variety of backgrounds and traditions from which students may come, and the ability to work well both independently and collaboratively.
- Traveling within a defined territory to visit high schools, attend college fairs and conferences.
- Reading and evaluating applications and participating in the selection of candidates for admission.
- Interviewing prospective candidates on and off-campus.
- Conducting information sessions.
- Answering admission inquiries from prospective students, parents, high school counselors, and others.
- Management of communication plan to steward prospective students from territory through the admissions funnel.
- Oversight of significant enrollment management program, such as Hartwick Overnight Program (HOP), Telecounseling Program, Events, Blue Key Tour Guide Program, etc.
- Planning and implementing various on and off-campus programs and initiatives.
- Building and maintaining relationships with high schools and community-based organizations.
- Serving as liaison with other campus offices and/or departments.
- Working with alumni admission volunteers.
- Supporting of day-to-day admission processes.
- Participation in major campus events, including Commencement Weekend.
- Comply with all applicable College, federal, state, local, and associational regulations.
- As a representative of the College, expected to comport him/herself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: Minimum of a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with one to three years of experience in an admissions office or similar position/field. Must have a willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed. Technical expertise including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc) is required. Must be adept with social media and have a willingness to learn new software. Familiarity with Ellucian Colleague is preferred. Must have a clean driving record and valid driver’s license.
An independent, residential liberal arts college enrolling approximately 1,400 full-time undergraduates, Hartwick embraces the teacher-scholar model, with teaching excellence as the first priority, and seeks to recruit, retain and promote a diverse workforce.
Located in the scenic Susquehanna River valley in Oneonta, NY, near the northern foothills of the Catskill Mountains, the College features a Liberal Arts in Practice general education curriculum and aspires to "be the best at melding liberal arts education with experiential learning."
Hartwick offers health benefits to domestic partners of employees, and prohibits discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation/preference and gender identity/expression. Hartwick is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to broadening "the understanding, awareness, and appreciation of diversity among all members of the Hartwick community." Women, minorities, and other underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply.
Hartwick College is committed to providing a safe and secure educational environment. Employment at Hartwick College is therefore contingent upon a successful background check on every new employee. Candidates to whom an offer of employment is made will be required to sign a Release of Information Form authorizing the College to conduct a thorough background check.
Hartwick College is committed to a diverse candidate pool, values an inclusive workforce and workplace environment, and wishes to minimize or eliminate the impact of implicit bias during the search and hiring process. To apply, please follow the detailed application instructions found at https://www.hartwick.edu/about-us/employment/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/.