University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Anschutz Health and Wellness Center
Position # 00736960 - Requisition 10800
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) Medical Assistant position.
About the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center (AHWC) resides within the School of Medicine at the Anschutz Medical Campus. AWHC is an interdisciplinary center, becoming the nation's go to source of information and programs related to weight loss and wellness. Top researchers work side-by-side with clinicians to develop and deliver wellness programs and work with community interventionists to take these programs beyond the walls of the center into communities. The mission of the center is "to transform the lives of individuals and communities through science-based wellness strategies."
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center's Vision is, "a world where accumulating wellness is the norm". All endeavors at the center are focused on this vision. An integrated approach, with a common philosophy is core to the development of the center's programs. These programs strive to involve every area of the business, including wellness clinic services, the fitness center, the bistro, the grocery lab, metabolic and demonstration kitchens. Without this integration it is not possible to achieve the vision that catalyzed the development of the AHWC. The center serves as a "learning lab" for creating a model of standard care for wellness centers that can be replicated and exported.
Nature of Work
The Anschutz Health and Wellness Center (AHWC) at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus seeks a full-time Medical Assistant for the Wellness Clinic. AHWC seeks a service oriented, enthusiastic medical assistant who is dedicated to providing quality care and promoting wellness. The applicant should be trained to perform administrative and clinical skills in the health care environment.
This is a full-time experienced Medical Assistant position (1.0 FTE). The Medical Assistant (MA) will assist physicians and other providers in The Wellness Clinic by setting up rooms, clearing and preparing rooms after a visit, monitoring patients, performing basic counseling and education, phone triage, EKG's, venipuncture and other assessments ordered by physicians. The MA will be responsible for inventory control, disposals, and assisting with EHS requirements. This position will also cross-cover the Program Coordinator by answering phones, assisting with referrals, scheduling, collections, sales and other duties assigned by the
Examples of Work Performed
- Front desk reception
- Answering phones and scheduling appointments
- Greeting clients, completing registration forms and giving instructions
- Filing and maintaining medical and financial records
- Preparing and typing correspondence; processing mail
- Maintaining appropriate inventory levels
- Computer skills for client billing, transcription, scheduling, insurance claims and data base entry
- Calling prescriptions to pharmacy for providers
- Communicating appropriately and effectively
- Follow legal and ethical professional conduct
- Measuring and recording vital signs
- Recording client interview and history notes
- Work supportively with multiple providers using the clinic
- Provide room set up and clearing
- Assist physicians with phone triage and follow up
- Perform EKGs, routine screening tests and venipuncture for laboratory tests
- Assist with providing written and verbal instructions and education to clients as ordered by providers
- Understand and discuss clinic services with clients as needed
- Assist providers with procedures as needed
- Maintain supplies in exam rooms
- Dispose of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards
- Practice OSHA safety standards
- Perform accurate, legal and ethical documentation at all times
- Other duties as assigned
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- High School diploma/GED
- Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program
- At least 1 year experience as a medical assistant in a clinic setting
- CPR certified
- Electronic Medical Record (EMR) experience - EPIC preferred
- Experience in weight loss management
- 2+ years of medical assistant experience
- HIPAA certified in UCD system
Knowledge, skills, and abilities:
This position requires the individual to operate independently in performing the full range of Medical Assistant tasks and problem solving.
- Mature decision-making skills and coping mechanisms appropriate for customer service
- An outgoing, positive attitude in interacting with clients and coworkers, appropriate for the Wellness Center setting
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of HIPAA and OSHA requirements
- Computer competency
- Ability to function as a team member as well as independently to complete responsibilities
- Highly responsible and courteous
- Able to maintain patient confidentiality
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A cover letter/letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2) A current resume/CV. 3) List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Lindsey Renn at Lindsey.Renn@ucdenver.edu
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 3-5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 21471 - SOM-Health and Wellness Center
Posting Date: Aug 23, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lindsey Renn
Posting Contact Email: Lindsey.Renn@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00736960