The Senior Accountant is responsible for performing complex analyses and reconciliations to include, but not limited to: general ledger and budget data; endowment and investments, monitoring accounts for variations from budget; determining the necessity for and processing of documentation to effect changes to accounts; and preparing schedules and assist with preparation of university-wide financial statements. Major responsibilities include general ledger accounting, regular reconciliation of designated accounts, and analysis of budgets. Position reports to the Director of Accounting.
• Assists Director in the preparation of consolidated financial statements and the annual audit preparation and other annual financial reports
• Prepare and submit required University surveys, develop schedules for the quarterly financial statements including but not limited to supporting documents, variance analysis, trend reports, graphs, and charts that provide support and backup for forecasted statements in compliance with monthly, quarterly, and annual schedules
• Work with AVP and Director on process improvements to the monthly close process that may include things like process redesign for better efficiencies, development of reports for more efficient and timely reporting capabilities, and system enhancements that provide additional information or assist in decreasing the time required for monthly close
• Actively pursue and supervise the implementation of new technologies and initiatives in the area of general accounting and financial reporting. Assists in the ongoing training of processes and systems for general accounting and financial/management reporting both internal to the department as well as the campus community.
• Works with supervisor and on project teams to assist with the development of policies/procedures relative to the administration of general accounting practices and financial reporting initiatives (includes external and internal reporting) and includes both creation and implementation
• Performs general ledger reconciliation activities including employee benefit liabilities
• Responsible for dissemination of information and respective training initiatives, both internal to the department and for the campus community
• Answers policy and procedure questions for campus community regarding general accounting, reporting, chart of accounts and other accounting and control related issues.
• Special project planning and analysis and other duties as required.
• Provide backup supervision of Accounting Office.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, or related degree minimum of 5 years accounting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• In depth knowledge of GAAP, GASB/FASB.
Experience with annual auditing processes including working closely with external auditors and preparing audit schedules
• Experience using automated general ledger/accounting systems. Preferred Qualifications: CPA preferred
• Experience in developing management level reports, operation reports, and other complex institutional reports that encompass multiple elements from various sources
• Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to explain complex requirements/regulations to non-finance staff
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills. Ability to handle a wide range of assignments, manage confidential information, and work with a diverse community
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships
• Proficiency in various tools to import, export, and format data in the creation of financial analysis and reporting.
• Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal background check required.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online application at: https://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/620728.html.
Please attach a letter of interest and resume. No phone calls please.
Information on current benefits provided to full-time eligible staff can be viewed here.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies. Current or future employment sponsorship is not permitted at this time.