Addiction Studies / Sociology Faculty
Faculty members are appointed and assigned rank according to established policies and collective bargaining agreements. Specific items such as wages, fringe benefits, and job responsibilities are determined by the College's collective bargaining agreement with the recognized faculty bargaining unit and institutional practices.
As professionals in a community college setting, faculty are involved in a variety of instructional and non-instructional activities, which contribute to goals and objectives of a comprehensive two-year institution. The following description of faculty duties and qualifications clarifies the expectations of this institution and is not considered complete or exclusive.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
1. Prepare and teach courses as assigned by the Division Assistant Dean.
2. On the first day of each course, review and post, via the Learning Management System (LMS), a syllabus that provides, at minimum, the following information:
a. Expected outcomes and performance objectives.
b. Grading policy.
c. Attendance policy - make-up work/tests.
d. Schedule of required readings, projects, assignments, etc.
e. Login information for students to access the College’s LMS.
3. Provide the Division Assistant Dean with copies of materials listed in Item 2 above.
4. Maintain office hours in accordance with the Faculty Bargaining Agreement.
5. Participate in student advising and registration.
6. Assist students in formulating educational and career plans.
7. Assist students with academic or course problems.
8. Establish and maintain positive working relationships with students, faculty and staff.
9. Maintain accurate and complete course records and comply with all specified reporting dates.
10. Serve on college committees and participate in college governance.
11. To promote retention, contact students who do not attend class or attend class sporadically.
12. Participate each semester in the evaluation and documentation of the instructional process and work to continually improve student learning outcomes.
13. Complete program reviews in accordance with the division schedule.
14. Employ a variety of teaching techniques and strategies to address the diverse learning needs of students.
15. Attend instructional division, Academic Affairs area and institution-wide meetings.
16. Assist in developing budget for division, if applicable.
17. Engage in professional development, advisory boards and other external agencies to stay current in the field and ensure updated curriculum.
18. Notify the Sr. Vice President of Academic Affairs/Provost of special projects, activities, etc. that may be used in publicizing the class, division, or College.
19. Maintain an awareness of effects of all actions or comments on retention, recruitment, and institutional image.
20. Stimulate interest in student activities by encouraging student participation.
21. Participate in graduation exercises as required.
22. Utilize technology to facilitate learning, improve student success, maintain course records, access the Student Information System, and communicate with others. Ensure all course assignments and course evaluations are linked to the LMS gradebook.
23. Teach online classes if needed.
24. Work collaboratively with Assistant Dean and Division faculty on initiatives to improve student success rates in division courses.
25. Perform related duties as assigned.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
MSW + 3 years college level teaching experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, correspondence, and procedure manuals, course syllabi and related teaching documents. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students, other faculty, administration, board of trustees and the general public.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Internet software. In addition they should be able to learn and utilize a variety of education software packages.
Other Skills and Abilities
Excellent classroom management and planning skills.
Demonstrated teaching and student coaching skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Apply for Addiction Studies / Sociology Faculty
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly