District Wide Safety Coordinator
Northeast Wisconsin Technical College is committed to promoting a learning environment where employees and students of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds pursue career and academic goals embraced in an environment of respect and shared inquiry.
The College is seeking to attract ethnically diverse instructors and staff who can inspire our increasingly diverse student population.
Provide oversight, management, and continuous development of the NWTC district-wide health and safety services with the mission, vision, values and strategic priorities of NWTC. Reduce overall liability and exposure of the College. Oversee and implement all aspects of the NWTC district-wide Safety department.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the functions identified in the job description.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
- Provide leadership in the area of Safety as it relates to students, visitors, and staff members. Conduct training, safety audits/inspections, and risk management evaluations, documentation, etc.
- Act as a claims manager and maintain regulatory compliance on behalf of NWTC by reviewing, investigating, processing, and responding to claims that are made related to accidents, injuries, or property damage.
- Ensure College compliance with Insurance provider(s), in regard to policy renewals, claims management, etc.
- Carry out workplace/classroom safety evaluations for NWTC employees and curriculum/programming.
- Provide leadership and serve as chairperson to the Safety Team and employees through the development and enforcement of policies, procedures, and programs relating to safety.
- Coordinate hazardous waste disposal activities to insure compliance.
- Monitor safety budgets district wide. Track revenues and expenses to ensure operation within budget.
- Manage emergencies as consultant during relevant incidents when the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) is activated.
- Participate in Wisconsin Technical College System meetings for Environmental Health and Safety and Risk Management.
- Values - Demonstrate behaviors and action that support the College’s values - Customer Focus, Everyone Has Worth, Passion and Inspiration, Collaboration, Emotional Intelligence, Results and Accountability, Valuing Talent and Well Being, and Ethics.
- Student Success – Demonstrate behaviors and actions that support student recruitment, retention, and student success initiatives.
- Diversity Oriented - Ability to work effectively with people regardless of their age, gender, race, ethnicity, religion, disability, socio-economic background, or job type.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Customer Oriented - Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
- Decision Making - Ability to make critical decisions while following company procedures.
- Interpersonal - Ability to get along well with a variety of personalities and individuals.
- Leadership - Ability to influence others to perform their jobs effectively and to be responsible for making decisions.
- Management Skills - Ability to organize and direct oneself and effectively supervise others.
- Problem Solving - Ability to find a solution for or to deal proactively with work-related problems.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor's Degree preferred in a related field
Experience: Minimum three years’ experience in Occupational Safety & Health, Environmental Health & Safety, Risk Management, or Safety Leadership within the past 3 years.
**An equivalent combination of education and work experience may be considered.
Microsoft Office to include Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Must hold a valid driver’s license and be insurable under the District’s standard insurance policy terms.
Department: Safety and Security
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Grade: C
Reports To: Director, Facilities
Amount of Travel Required: Day-2/month; Overnight-8/year
Positions Supervised: None
LOCATION: Green Bay
STANDARD HOURS: Monday through Friday: 7:30am to 4:30pm; Flexibility required to include other evening and/or weekend hours as necessary.
Anticipated Start Date: Fall 2017
MINIMUM STARTING SALARY*: $60,449 per year
*Current benefit eligible employees will be placed within the pay range based on their current rate/range.
Required online application available on website: www.nwtc.edu/jobs
Location: Northeast Wisconsin Technical College, Human Resources, 2740 West Mason Street, Green Bay, WI 54307-9042. All postings are considered current and available until removed from the website.
The College has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee's ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the College reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the College may deem appropriate.
NWTC does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, disability, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin or other protected classes.