Learning Designer II, Science & Engineering, Center for Teaching and Learning
Reporting to the Associate Director in Faculty Programs and Services, the Learning Designer II, Science and Engineering will design and create learning resources and curricular materials in collaboration with staff in the Center for Teaching and Learning. The incumbent will also work with faculty specifically in the science and engineering departments to develop digital projects and design creative applications of digital, online, and multimedia resources to enhance teaching and learning. The incumbent will research and experiment with new technologies and the application of cognitive models of learning toward the development of effective learning objects.
The Center for Teaching and Learning provides professional development and support services for Columbia faculty and teaching assistants, and partners with faculty, departments, and schools to improve and advance teaching performance, implement best practices, and promote innovations in pedagogy, curriculum design and the use of instructional technology.
- Designing and creating interactive multimedia and technology-enhanced course materials and resources, including online modules, simulations, and graphical content. Working collaboratively with faculty and multi-functional project teams to create course materials and resources. Researching current and emerging technologies for enhancing courses and teaching materials in alignment with student learning objectives. Creatively integrating design-based approaches to construct digital learning environments.
- Supporting the development of blended, hybrid, or fully online courses or course modules. Consulting with faculty to redesign existing courses. Identifying opportunities for modularity in course design. Converting existing course materials to function optimally in blended and online contexts. Collaborating on the development of new course materials and resources suitable for partially or fully online environments.
- Working with the CTL staff to contribute toward faculty professional development programming (including workshops, institutes, and online resources), the development of special projects that arise during the year, i.e. grant-supported digital modules; interdisciplinary collaborative projects; etc.
- Establishing working relationship with faculty in STEM, and promoting the purposeful use of educational technologies for hybrid and online education as a CTL representative assigned to Science departments and the School of Engineering.
- Performing other duties and special projects, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and 3-5 years of related experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience) required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Interest in the field of teaching and learning and in using technical expertise to solve educational challenges and awareness of pedagogical concepts and instructional technology issues required.
- Familiarity with research tools and data analysis required.
- Experience with educational technology tools (e.g., Learning Management System – Canvas) required.
- Knowledge of web content creation required.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and provide high quality, timely support.
- Advanced degree in STEM discipline preferred.
- Familiarity with programming concepts and techniques preferred.
Please apply online at: https://jobs.columbia.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=164234
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and strongly encourages individuals of all backgrounds and cultures to consider this position.