Administrative Assistant for Arts and Sciences (Music)
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Administrative Assistant supports learning by providing administrative assistance to the faculty and students of the Department of Music in the School of Arts and Sciences. This is a 10-month, full-time position during the academic year.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provide administrative support to the music department with generating several concerts, recitals, studio classes and other events each year.
- Assist the Music Department in recruitment of music students in collaboration with the Admissions Office and Scholarship Office.
- Assist in scheduling ensemble travel.
- Provides administrative and clerical support to the faculty and students of the Department of Music in the School of Arts an Sciences, to include correspondence, reports, copying, ordering office supplies, filing and distribution of mail.
- Responds to phone inquiries; greets all who visit the offices; and delivers service in a way that reflects positively upon the departments and the university.
- Assists with purchase order requisitions and tracks expenditures in monthly budget reports.
- Maintains course syllabi on shared drives.
- Initiates adjunct faculty contracts by providing required information to Academic Affairs. Provides assistance to adjunct faculty with acquisition of textbooks, keys, room reservations, desk copies, etc.
- Uses the database program Colleague to access student schedules and contact information.
- Prepares and follows up on work orders and coordinates campus services necessary for the effective operation of the department.
- Provides assistance for faculty searches.
Essential Job Requirements:
- High School Diploma required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Previous administrative/clerical experience in an office setting with experience in music required.
- Background in music required.
- Familiarity with classical composers and awareness of foreign languages will be helpful.
- Proficient computer knowledge, including strong word processing, spreadsheet and database software skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to handle multiple projects.
- Strong customer service orientation. Ability to interact with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and parents.
- Ability to maintain confidential information.
- This is a 10-month, full-time position during the academic year.
- Ability to use a computer, and interact via telephone, in person and via electronic media.
- Ability to move about campus.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.