University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Office of Grants and Contracts
Job Title - PreAward Specialist
Position #3029 - Requisition #10780
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Office of Grants and Contracts has an opening for a full-time University Staff (unclassified) PreAward Specialist position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
This is a PreAward specialist position in the Office of Grants and Contracts. The position provides grant proposal review for Anschutz Medical Campus and Downtown Denver Campus faculty. The position reviews and provides feedback on grant applications, budgets, and assures compliance with applicable policy and guidelines. The PreAward Specialist provides information and training to administrative unit personnel and Principal Investigators (PIs) on grants and sponsored project issues as needed. This position also serves as a liaison between funding agencies, administrative units and PIs.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Serves as the main point of contact for departments and principal investigators to provide guidance, counseling and/or advice on matters related to sponsored research. Interpret university, state and federal (or other sponsor) policies and guidelines for departments and principal investigators, and make discretionary decisions regarding the correct application of those policies. Within the parameters of university, state and federal (or other sponsor) policies, advise departments on the allow ability and implications of various actions proposed. Serve as a primary liaison between sponsors and principal investigators/departments. Work with sponsors to negotiate, when possible, terms and conditions of awards that are most advantageous for the university and the researcher(s).
- Reviews grant applications and contract proposals for comprehensiveness, appropriate language, and compliance with funding agency guidelines, applicable federal, state and university policies and regulations, and university procedures. Prepare and verify grant application and contract proposal budgets. Guide departments through the necessary administrative procedures necessary to achieve their goals relative to sponsored research. Provides advice to departments seeking to obtain sponsor approvals of restricted actions.
- Handles all communication and follow-up with administrative unit staff/PI/sponsor concerning additional information required by sponsor or University to finalize proposal (e.g., just-in-time requests, response to status inquiries), obtains approval(s) to existing awards (e.g., carry-forward requests, time extension requests), notifies department of action(s) needed (e.g., award negotiation required), and handles e-mail requests sent to section's general inbox for assigned departments, as well as individual inbox.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. The hiring salary range is $50,000-$52,000.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- A bachelor's degree in public health, public administration, social/behavioral sciences, physical sciences, nursing, healthcare, finance, accounting, business administration, business, or a directly related field from an accredited institution.
Substitution: A combination of education and related technical/paraprofessional experience may be substituted for the bachelor's degree on a year for year basis.
- Certified Research Administrator
- Experience with Info Ed Proposal Development System or similar grant submission software.
- Experience in budget development and/or review
- Prior higher education experience.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to train University staff on the principles of Proposal Development
- Ability to maintain expertise in all aspects of funding and stay current with frequently changing regulations of multiple funders and rule sets.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received on or before September 9, 2017. Those who do not apply on or before September 9, 2017 may or may not be considered.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. College Transcripts
Job Category: Research Services
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60067 - ADM-VCR OGC Administration
Posting Date: Aug 22, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00003092