Future Earth and Global Sustainability Scholars Coordination and Administration Officer
The Coordination and Administration Officer supports the logistics, administrative and coordination needs of two sister organizations focused on facilitating Global Sustainability Science and research training: Future Earth (FE) and the Global Sustainability Scholars (GSS).
Who we are:
Future Earth seeks to meet the profound and mounting challenges of global environmental change and the transition to global sustainability, by harnessing the capacity of the global research community across multiple disciplines and engaging with a wide array of stakeholders. Future Earth intends to operate at the cutting edge of the science-policy interface while training the next generation of integrated thinkers and doers on global sustainability and human well-being, particularly in developing countries.
The Global Sustainability Scholars Program is a three-year summer experiential learning and internship program, aimed at supporting and training the next generation of global change leaders in sustainability. Our program selects the most passionate, self-directed, and talented undergraduate student-scholars from underrepresented groups from around the world to join a life-long network of peer and international scholars. We use lenses of power, privilege, agency, and identity to identify and improve social equity throughout the solution making process. We train students and conduct transdisciplinary research, which involves all stake holders in the process.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Coordinate logistics and procedures involved in the registration, payment, reimbursement, housing, travel, and HR processes for GSS and FE participants and staff.
- Work closely with the financial officer, CU travel office, and the Future Earth IT lead on this work.
- Act as a liaison between the GSS program and the International Studies office, to help secure J1 visas for foreign students.
- Attend GSS and FE advisory board meetings, keep minutes and advise on administrative concerns, in addition to identifying logistical problems and recommending solutions.
Event Planning and Scheduling
- Plan events and schedules meetings for FE and GSS, including setting agendas, registration set-up, travel and lodging, coordination of official functions, meeting rooms, and processing participant compensation.
- Maintain the online calendar and schedules meetings for the Director of Future Earth and serve as the first line of communication for all GSS program business.
- Manage the agenda for weekly meetings, and serve as liaison to other CU Departments, external collaborators and partners.
What you should know:
The Administrative Officer will occasionally need to set up and attend meetings beyond normal business hours (such as an occasional early morning meeting) and respond to logistics requests beyond normal working hours. A moderate amount of travel may be required (no more than 2 weeks per year).
What we can offer:
The anticipated starting salary for this position is $51,500.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be supportive. Be collaborative. Be adaptable. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree
What you will need:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to anticipate next steps and to be self-directed
- Cultural sensitivity and willingness to work across many time zones
- Ability to handle multiple, concurrent, and complex tasks
- Effective problem-solving skills
- Strong computer and web tools skills
What we'd like you to have:
- General knowledge of sustainability and environmental issues
- International experience with coordinating science or research focused programs
- Experience working with distributed teams
- Experience in administrative management
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 2, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10622.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 11061 - SILC
Posting Date: Aug 21, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 2, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00736974