Fire Sprinkler Technician
Fire Sprinkler Technician
Job Number: 76054
Fire Sprinkler Technician Stanford University Environmental Health and Safety Position Posted: August 21, 2017. 100% FTE. Bargaining Unit The Stanford University Fire Marshal's Office (SUFMO) is part of Stanford University's Department of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S), and provides comprehensive services to the Stanford community encompassing all aspects of Fire Safety. All SUFMO staff are dedicated to supporting the academic, research, clinical and public service missions of the University. By providing engineering, education, maintenance, and inspection services, we allow the Stanford community to pursue their goals in a safe environment. All EH&S staff are required to comply with governmental regulations and University and departmental policies and procedures regarding health and safety, and must observe and support good health and safety practices. Additionally, all staff are required to provide EH&S support as assigned during emergencies. Other duties may be assigned by the supervisor or by EH&S management or by SUFMO managers. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to, and under the direction of the Fire Systems Supervisor the incumbent will: (85%) Inspect, test and maintain fire sprinkler systems in accordance with California Code of Regulations, Title 19, and NFPA 13 & 25. Create electronic inspection, testing and maintenance records for quarterly, annual and 5-year inspections. Install, repair, and replace fire sprinkler devices including but not limited to post-indicator valves, outside stem and yoke valves, water flow switches, tamper switches, sprinkler heads, and stock boxes. Perform fire pump testing and make repairs as needed. Perform sprinkler system drain downs for minor repairs or construction projects. Coordinate testing schedule with building managers, supervisors and lead technician. Coordinate and perform sprinkler repairs with other trades, shops, and contractors. (5%) Inspect fire sprinkler systems on renovations and new Stanford construction projects. Work with outside fire sprinkler contractors to perform system acceptance test with Santa Clara County Fire Marshal. (5%) Respond to fire sprinkler system emergencies during off-hours when requested by the Fire Systems Supervisor. (5%) Comply with governmental regulations and University and departmental policies regarding health and safety and must observe and support good health and safety practices. Attend required safety meetings. Keep current annual training requirements. Provide EH&S support as assigned during emergencies. Technical Knowledge: The successful candidate must be able to demonstrate the following: Ability and willingness to work independently and as a team member on all aspects of fire sprinkler systems, including maintenance, testing, repairs, and troubleshooting.
- Ability and willingness to work independently and as a team member on all aspects of fire sprinkler systems, including maintenance, testing, repairs, and troubleshooting.
- Working knowledge of the methods and materials used in fire sprinkler installation, maintenance and repair.
- Completion of Automatic Sprinkler Systems Workshop or equivalent.
- Basic understanding of a fire alarm control panel.
- Understanding and willingness to comply with Stanford work safety procedures,
- Ability and willingness to use tools of the trade; to work on ladders over 12 feet tall, using a 30 to 55 foot lift; to work in tight crawlspaces, attics, and rooftops; and to lift equipment up to 40 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to respond to campus emergencies as required.
- Ability and willingness to drive vehicles in accordance with the Stanford University regulations and the California Vehicle Codes.
- Basic PC skills including ability to use Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Possession and ability to maintain a valid California Driver's license.
- High School diploma or equivalent required; associate degree or relevant military experience desired. This is not a trainee position so incumbent must have at least 1 year of directly applicable experience with fire sprinkler systems; 2-3 years desired.
- Excellent ability to communicate in English orally and in writing in order to interact effectively and efficiently with students, staff, faculty, the Stanford community and other outside agencies. Exceptional customer service skills, including strong interpersonal skills, such as empathy for and patience with those who need help with their working conditions. Ability to maintain a positive and helpful attitude with a customer-centered focus with a wide variety of individuals within the Stanford community
- Strong self-motivation; proactive, high-energy, enthusiastic, “can do” work ethic; ability to handle potentially stressful situations.
- Excellent organizational skills, as demonstrated by the ability to manage competing priorities efficiently and to work well under pressure in a fast-paced, multi-tasking environment. Ability to tolerate ambiguity with patience and good will.
- Excellent attention to detail and thoroughness in accomplishing assigned tasks; pride in performing the job correctly and completely.
Job: Health and Safety
Location: Dean of Research
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.