Supportive Learning Services Tutor - Health Sciences
American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. The campus has 42 buildings on two sites approximately 1/2 mile apart with a total of approximately 660,000 gross square feet. Included in the inventory of buildings are student residences for a resident population of 900 students. Founded in 1885, the College has 3700 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
- Utilizes expert knowledge in subject matter related to Health Sciences major. Provides individualized and specialized college level tutoring to improve student knowledge. Tutor must have ability to work, or be trained to work, with students having literacy-based learning disabilities and/or other documented academic challenges as well as the general student body.
- Plan tutoring sessions and provide one-to-one or small group tutoring sessions as needed for Health Science majors and students needing support in science coursework.
- Coordinate and/or conduct workshops and study groups for students as needed
- Review student work samples, diagnostic information, and the IEP, if applicable.
- With input and permission of student, and as applicable, serve as a communication link to faculty and support areas including the Assistant Director of Supportive Learning Services, academic advisors, coaches, Center for Academic Success, and Center for Disability Services and Academic Accommodations.
- Maintain a weekly calendar of available hours for student appointments. Maintain instructional materials (e.g. textbooks, calculators, software, etc.). Collect and analyze data.
- Attends training sessions as needed or required
- Required Degree(s): Bachelors major or minor in science related field
- Preferred Degree(s): Masters in Education or Health Sciences related field
- Required Field of Expertise: Health Sciences related content (biology, chemistry, anatomy and physiology)
- Preferred Field of Expertise: Health Science related content specific to Occupational Therapy major
- Knowledge about learning disabilities and their impact on the higher education classroom environment is preferred
- Knowledge about learning strategies and ability to implement them according to individualized student learning needs is preferred
- Previous experience working in small groups utilizing a variety of tutoring methods with a non-traditional, diverse student population is preferred.
This is a part-time, non-exempt, non benefits eligible position. The normal business hours for Supportive Learning Services are Monday through Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm. The hours for this position are flexible to the needs of the department and can vary weekly depending on the needs and schedules of the students.
Qualified applicants should save and submit a brief cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references (one of which must be a current or prior supervisor) as one document. Upload the saved document into the online application.
AIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.