Web Developer, Front-End
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
Part of the GW Marketing & Creative Services (MCS) team, the Web Developer, Front-End joins other energetic creatives in a fast-paced, fun environment building web tools that are used by units across the university. This position is responsible for the development, maintenance and support of the theme layer of multiple enterprise GW web platforms. This position will report to the Assistant Director of Client Services.
This includes but is not limited to:
• Developing new Drupal content types, modules and themes for our custom "GW Drupal" platform
• Troubleshooting and fixing HTML/CSS/JS issues and bugs
• Working with MCS team members to wireframe, develop prototypes and implement new designs following GW's visual identity standards and web best practices
• Translating visual design mockups into industry-standard code
• Working with GW Division of IT (DIT) counterparts to implement new GW Drupal elements
• Brainstorming how GW web designs, usability, accessibility, and appearance can be improved
• Assisting technical, engineering, and business teams to architect and implement both enterprise-wide and project-specific solutions
• Customizing Wordpress themes on a hosted platform (CampusPress, a.k.a. "GW Blogs")
• Participating in regular scrum, sprint planning, and backlog review meetings
• Exploring and making recommendations for new technologies that will enhance the GW web presence
• Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area of specialization. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
• Professional web development experience working with PHP-based CMS or PHP web applications frameworks
• Drupal 7 experience (required)
• Knowledge of the Drupal theme layer, PHP, PHP files and theme functions
• Knowledge of web accessibility best practices
• Experience with CSS preprocessors such as SASS
• Knowledge of CSS frameworks such as Bootstrap
• Experience with code versioning and social coding best practices using tools such as Git, GitHub, or GitLab
• Knowledge of Agile methodologies such as scrum
• Experience theming Wordpress sites is desired
• Attention to detail while being able to see the bigger picture
• Excellent problem-solving skills with the ability to anticipate and manage issues
• Team player with the ability to bring people together
• Highly effective communicator (both oral and written, with technical and non-technical individuals)
• Self-starter, able to initiate and self-manage
• High level of professionalism
• Capable of developing and cultivating positive and productive working relationships across a diversity of functional areas, groups and individuals
• Organized, capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously
• Demonstrated interest in keeping on top of web design and development trends and best practices
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: External Relations Family Information Technology Sub-Family Web Services Stream Individual Contributor Level Level 1 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Monday-Friday Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006596 Job Open Date: 08/21/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education that you have obtained?
(Open Ended Question)
- What is your salary range expectation?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter