Area Accountant I
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
Area Accountant I
Position #2889 - Requisition 10785
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The Finance Office has an opening for full-time University Staff (unclassified) Area Accountant I position.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
Jobs in this career family provide the accounting and financial activities for the University. Functions include general accounting, budget, financial analysis and audit, tax and reporting, accounts payable and receivables, government cost reimbursement, contract administration, cashiering, cash management/ banking, investments, treasury and travel audit.
Professionals at the entry level are responsible for exercising discretion, analytical skill, personal accountability and responsibility in a wide range of areas including academic, administrative, managerial and student services functions. Work involves creating, integrating, applying and sharing knowledge directly related to a professional field.
At the entry level, duties are limited in scope and are performed with guidance and direction from other professionals and are performed in a training and Development capacity.
This position will assist the Finance Office in providing accounting guidance to the University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus team. Primary responsibilities include reviewing journal entries, fielding help desk questions, general ledger analysis, approval of new speed-types (funds), petty cash and gift card authorization and audit, apprenticing on cash control reviews, moving reimbursement review, assist with deficit follow-up, service center cost study review, and assisting with month-end and year-end closing tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Review journal entries based on generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), policies, and supporting documentation. For example, this position decides whether the accounting sign and related chartfield coding is correct and whether the supporting documentation adequately justifies the purpose of the entry. The position also determines if the journal entry is in compliance with GASB pronouncements, if any restrictions need to be considered, and whether the entry needs to be routed to additional personnel prior to approval in the general ledger. This position must have the accounting expertise to determine if the journal will withstand audit.
- Monitor and clear balances in the campus payroll suspense account. This position coordinates and follows up with campus departments on items posted to the suspense account. This positions resolves any issues related to the items with the departments and processes corrections in the Human Capital Management system (HCM) to clear the balances in the suspense account. This position also provides informal training to departmental personnel on payroll expense transfer (PET) usage.
- Investigate and correct abnormal financial statement balances. This position must determine the best method to identify and research transactions causing the abnormal balance. Supporting documentation is obtained and related campus departments are contacted as necessary to investigate the cause of the abnormality. This position must have knowledge of related accounting guidance and university policy to determine the appropriate corrective action.
- Review requests from campus departments to set up chartfields in the University's finance system. This position follows accounting principles and standard procedures including a matrix and decides what fund code the new activity belongs in, what the proper Expense Purpose Code (EPC) to be assigned to, and whether requested fiscal principal and manager hold sufficient positions to serve in such capacities. This position also identifies exception activities falling outside of the procedures or the parameters of the matrix and brings these requests to and discusses with the supervisor for the final determination.
- Review moving expense reimbursements for faculty or exempt professionals. This position analyzes and corrects as necessary moving expense reimbursement packets submitted by campus departments to ensure compliance with IRS, state, and university rules. After final review by the Accounting Manager, this position coordinates with the applicable central administrative offices (e.g. Office of Grants and Contracts, Human Resources, etc.) for final approval, before routing the reimbursement request to Employee Services.
- Reconcile the South Denver's bank account and serve as a back-up for reconciling Denver and Anschutz depository bank accounts. This position works closely with the South Denver's personnel, the Bursar's Office, and the bank to analyze data, investigate discrepancies, correct errors and ensure accuracy between the general ledger and the bank statements.
- Assist the Accounting Manager with ad hoc projects and analysis requests as necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
The starting salary for this position is $47,500.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting or closely related field is required.
*Please attach your transcript with your application materials.*
- Prior experience at a Higher Education Institution or State of Colorado Agency.
- Detailed working knowledge of and experience with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Ability to communicate effectively, both in writing and orally.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees at all levels throughout the institution.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Demonstrated commitment and leadership ability to advance diversity and inclusion.
- Excellent analytical skills are essential in order to properly perform various reconciliations and analyses.
- This position will have extensive contact with campus department users and therefore must have superior communication skills to present accounting principles and procedures in a clear and concise manner to campus users of widely varying accounting abilities.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Required Application Materials: To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references) 4. College Transcripts Questions should be directed to: Sara Esau, email@example.com
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by September 2, 2017. Those who do not apply by September 2, 2017 may or may not be considered.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Department: U0001 -- Denver-Anschutz Administration - 60010 - ADM-AVCFA Administration
Posting Date: Aug 21, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Sara Esau
Posting Contact Email: Sara.Esau@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00002889