Library Specialist II
University Library-Gen - 141000
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday; 8:00am-5:00pm/ with some flexibility
A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services are the cornerstone of the Libraries' integral role in the University of North Texas community. As the most-used service on campus and an essential component of education and research at the University of North Texas, the Libraries offer access to more than 6 million items (print and digital) along with expert personnel to assist patrons in achieving their academic and scholarly goals. We provide innovative programs and support to enhance the relationship between teaching and learning at the University of North Texas.
Members of the Collection Development department work as an interdependent, collaborative team to ensure that the UNT Libraries provides quality, useful books, journals and other resources. We are committed to evidence-based decision-making, and rely heavily on data and information to inform our practice. We consider both library patrons and library colleagues to be our customers, and we value innovation, user-centeredness, empowerment, and flexibility. Collection Development team members have the chance to work independently, grow professionally, and to create innovative methods of increasing access to quality resources.
UNT Libraries at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Library Specialist II to join our Collection Management Division.
The Acquisitions Specialist is a member of a team that procures library materials within established policies and workflows. This position provides expertise in the identification, pricing, ordering, tracking, documenting, and claiming of monographic library materials. The position's duties include: pre-order research to verify availability and cost of materials; management of data in a variety of systems; use of integrated library systems to document and track orders; working with vendors to initiate and complete orders; conforming to university policies and procedures regarding appropriate use and reconciliation of payment cards; creating and managing records; and other tasks related to the operations of an academic office environment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Ordering Library Materials.
* Monitors incoming requests and prioritizes ordering activities.
* Verifies bibliographic and identification information of requested materials; this task may include communicating with liaison librarians, faculty, staff and external entities like publishers.
* Conducts research to determine pricing, negotiates pricing when appropriate, and selects vendor and items based on a variety of criteria related to material requested.
* Places orders with vendors using multiple means including online and manual ordering systems.
* Reviews outstanding orders and claims missing materials in a timely manner or re-orders when necessary.
Managing Data & Financial Activities
* Creates and/or updates tracking records in the library's integrated library system and in documents as needed.
* Collaborates with unit and departmental colleagues as needed to gather information on vendors, confirm invoicing, and monitor fund availability.
* Prepares payment card documentation and reconciles monthly statements with purchasing activities.
* Manages a public mailbox for acquisitions and handles or refers action items as needed.
Other duties include, but are not limited to:
* Learns and maintains technical or other skills related to position's responsibilities.
* Modifies and adapts workflows as internal and external systems change.
* Maintains positive, effective working relationships with colleagues and customers at every level.
* Participates in cross-training and interdepartmental cooperative efforts.
* Complies with policies and procedures of the department, the Libraries and the University.
Special projects may include, but are not limited to:
* Conducts subject-focused research on the Libraries' collections and the means to address gaps
* Participates in periodic reviews of workflows and recommends changes to improve effectiveness.
* Serves on committees within the Libraries or University.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree and two years of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Excellent attention to detail.
* Excellent organizational and customer service skills.
* Experience using Innovative Interface's integrated library system (ILS), specifically Sierra.
* Experience with procurement practices for an agency or university of the State of Texas.
* Experience purchasing library materials.
* Familiarity with licensing considerations for media in academic libraries.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three professional references with their online application. The cover letter should highlight the applicant's experience relevant to the job duties.
After submitting the online application, applicants must also review the information at http://tinyurl.com/acquisitions-exercise and follow the instructions given there.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting